Five things you must do this week…

Theatre: Semester 2.2 kicks off with two big St Andrews performances, Macbeth and A Streetcar named Desire. Streetcar is going up on the Byre main stage on Tuesday and Wednesday evening at 7:30pm, and there’s going to be a Wednesday matinee at 2:30pm. […]

Theatre: Semester 2.2 kicks off with two big St Andrews performances, Macbeth and A Streetcar named Desire. Streetcar is going up on the Byre main stage on Tuesday and Wednesday evening at 7:30pm, and there’s going to be a Wednesday matinee at 2:30pm. Promising a brutal, beautiful production of Tennessee Williams masterpiece and featuring a live blues band, don’t miss out! Patch of Blue is producing the show, tickets are only £6 and are available online on the Byre Box Office website. The Scottish Play, produced by the acclaimed student production company ‘Hands in the Air’, is to be performed at nightfall in the Castle on Saturday night. Yes, you read it correctly, IN THE CASTLE! Sounds dark and spectacular, huh! Tickets are available online, or at different times this week outside the Union or in Church Square – check here. Tickets are only £8, or £5 for Mermaids Season Ticket Holders. 

Russia Week 2012: Many of you will have noticed the little Russian dolls hanging on various noticeboards and shop windows, loitering with no intent and bearing the words ‘What’s Inside?’. Well that is the question, what is inside Russia Week 2012? Russia week has a stellar line up including talks from Bridget Kendall, the BBC’s chief correspondent during the fall of the USSR, George Carey, the creator of Channel 4’s Unreported World and BBC Newsnight and Andrew Graham Dixon Presenter of The Culture Show and the Art of Russia. As well as incredible speakers Russian Society is putting on a Georgian Cookery Class in association with Fine Food and Dining, lectures on Soviet Art, a Russian Politics Debate on Sunday night and a Vodka party!

Secret Garden Egg Hunt: The University deprived us of an Easter Monday lie in, my chocolate egg got smashed on the train and we only had two weeks holiday, but all is not lost. The lovely people at Greenpeace St Andrews are hiding chocolate eggs for us in St John Garden. Where did you say? You know, that little oasis on Market Street, next to Marmaris. Head there on Wednesday at 3pm, donate £1 and hunt to your heart’s content.

Half Cut Film Festival: Are the next Coen brothers hiding out on Market Street? A mini Scorcese might be sitting next to you in lectures? The next Almodovar could be in the queue in Taste? Find out for yourself at the Half Cut Short Film Festival. It kicks off on Sunday with the People’s Choice Evening at the Buchanan – where you get the chance to vote on the films that have been submitted that did not pass the pre-selection panel. The main event, the ‘glittering awards night gala’ will be on 19th April. It’s a black tie affair at the New Picture House. Alistair Moffat is one of the judges, tickets for the gala are only £6 and this includes a free drink. If you make films, love cinema and think you’ve got what it takes, aspiring film-makers can find information about the festival and submission guidelines here – the deadline is this Friday!

Kate Kennedy Procession: The guys who got their knickers in a twist only a few weeks ago are dressing up as girls on Saturday and processing down the streets. Touted as one of the most controversial processions in St Andrews living memory, put your books down and head out at 2pm on Saturday to watch those boys prove that they deserve to keep the rights to the Procession and keep control of the carriages. Will the KKF be around? Does anyone really care? Do you just want to see men in drag?