Drunk student decapitates bird

Jonathan Leslie, a fourth year student at St Andrews has admitted to ripping a pigeon’s head off while drunkenly exploring the dilapidated Abbey Park House mansion with friends on 10 […]

Jonathan Leslie, a fourth year student at St Andrews has admitted to ripping a pigeon’s head off while drunkenly exploring the dilapidated Abbey Park House mansion with friends on 10 September 2011. Leslie was fined £750 and given a one year driving ban by Cupar Sheriff Court after he was also found guilty of drink driving. 

Police were called to the scene after CCTV cameras noticed the group. Fiscal depute Brian Robertson told the court that, “the accused admitted responsibility for it and appeared to believe he had done nothing wrong. He smelled strongly of alcohol and had been driving.”

Third year, Inês told The Stand, “I find it unbelievable that a  human being would inflict this kind of torture on a living animal  and attribute it to drunken antics. Disgusting.” Another third year, who wished to remain anonymous commented, “I know that there’s not much to the St Andrews night life, but really?”

Defence lawyer Gregor Kelly spoke on behalf of Leslie by saying, “He deeply regrets the suffering he caused to the bird and hopes the events of this sorry evening don’t impinge on his future career.”

Photos:  © thecourier.co.uk; Jamie Beatson/Kingdom News Agency