Look of the Week: Pretty in Pale

The latest up-and-coming style icon that has got everybody talking is none other than the little sister of fashion moguls Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. Despite often wearing pieces from her […]

The latest up-and-coming style icon that has got everybody talking is none other than the little sister of fashion moguls Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. Despite often wearing pieces from her sisters’ high-end lines The Row and Elizabeth and James, Elizabeth Olsen has been putting her own mark on the fashion world thanks to her individual style.

Elizabeth’s style choices come as a breath of fresh air to the usual It girl uniform of big sunglasses, an even bigger bag and skinny jeans. Whilst her outfit choices may seem risky to some (red velvet trouser suit anyone?) she pulls them off effortlessly with just the right balance of sophistication and fun. But if there’s one look Lizzie Olsen knows how to work it’s anything that’s pale…

A popular trend for Spring/Summer 2012, pale shades were spotted all over the catwalks at Oscar de la Renta, Prada and Carolina Herrera to name but a few. Icy pastels were the shades of choice with cool spearmint, washed-out lemons and light pink hues proving most popular. Elizabeth shows us how to work the trend off the runway; wearing Chloé she colour-blocked pale shades with a white shirtdress underneath a beigey-pink blazer paired with nude heels and a sleek handbag. The gold accents on both the bag and her jewellery pull the whole look together to ensure it isn’t too bland. She looks young, elegant and comfortable and shows that you don’t have to wear bold colours in order to stand out.

Here are our Do’s and Don’ts on how best to work the pale trend:

DO – Colourblock. Layer up different pale shades using different pieces.

DO – Keep fabrics soft, floaty and silky. The more delicate the fabric the better.

DON’T – choose saccharine shades. Avoid the risk of looking too sickly sweet and opt for icy washes instead.

DON’T – assume you have to be super tanned to pull off the look – a soft subtle glow is all that’s needed.

Check out Zara for some great tailored blazers in the coolest of shades and Reiss for gorgeous separates, especially their incredible Augusta crepe jumpsuit. Warehouse is also another good bet for pretty tops, but if you’re feeling extra generous why not make like Elizabeth Olsen herself and treat yourself to a silk blouse by Elizabeth and James. Show off your new purchase on your way to class or at your next dinner party – dressed up or down you’re sure to make a statement with your pale, pretty new look.

Photo © vogue.fr, style.com,