A message from The President

Patrick O’Hare talks about his experience as President and leaves a message for his future heir. What have been the pitfalls and the benefits? A pitfall of the job, or […]

Patrick O’Hare talks about his experience as President and leaves a message for his future heir.

What have been the pitfalls and the benefits?

A pitfall of the job, or something that I have been vigilant about, is not leaving the student body behind when you engage in change. We have had a radical year in terms of student representation (fees etc.) but for the most part I feel that we have maintained widespread student support. Another pitfall which I feel I’ve dealt with is the risk of disappearing into the office and becoming a sort of University management figure, instead of someone who is in amongst the student body.

As for the benefits, at a professional level, the job does give you experience in running an important organisation, in undertaking projects with the democratic mandate of over 7,000 students behind you. It’s a privilege and to be able to stand up for the St Andrews students, who are a fantastic bunch.

What have you enjoyed and what have you hated?

I’ve most enjoyed representing students and being able to have a continued dialogue with them. Changing the culture of campaigning here has been important, as well as changing the impression people have of St Andrews nationally. Learning how to diplomatically negotiate with the University has been a rewarding challenge, especially when we have achieved positive results for students.

Patrick loves to laugh!

I thankfully haven’t hated too many parts of this job! Student representation on University committee is hugely important and should be extended, but occasionally meetings are a bit bureaucratic. Another tricky issue is the relationship between the President and the Directors, where each are meant to be equal but I am often still held responsible for overall performance! Finally, the sabbs are on a year’s contract, while students are only here for 8 months, so things can get a bit boring when they’re away…

What do you think is needed from your position next year?

As I’ve been telling candidates, I think that it’s important that some of the work we’ve done this year is continued. In particular I’d single out the twinning with Ain Shams University in Egypt, the joint partnership with the GMB trade union and our increased presence on the national scene.

In other areas, the redevelopment continues to be important. More work should be done on Association strategy and our communication, especially on mass media. It is not only important to cultivate a relationship with the University, but to stand up for students, to continue to oppose fees and to push for bursaries. We are an independent organisation and attempts to infringe on our independent voice should be resisted.

Condiment: Zatar

Pokemon: Mine’s Pikachu for sure