DoSDA Candidate: Martin McCaffery

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do you feel that DoSDA […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do you feel that DoSDA is important to St Andrews?

The DoSDA’s remit has a fantastic potential for large-scale change. As Director of Activities, it’s possible to oversee and streamline a huge section of students’ activities, from societies to charities to theatre. The Development side of the role influences one of the most important aspects of student life: your future, in careers.

What makes you qualified for the job?

Firstly, there’s my long experience on many society committees and also on The Societies Committee, where I’ve been able to see how things work from a student perspective and an administrator’s, allowing me to know what needs to be done and also how to do it. But what’s more, I’ve already proved I can do this: last summer I recreated the Societies section of the Union website, changing it from a place where you could sometimes find out-of-date, simplistic help on a few issues to a constantly updated store of all the societies’ details.

What three main principles do you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

The societies website is only the beginning. With a year in office I can extend the efficiency and simplicity of the Societies website to the other sectors that need it most: accommodation and careers. With accommodation, there’s often far too little information available, often late and unreliable, while with careers, there can often be so many details and suggestions that it’s hard to find what’s really useful. In both fields, I intend to tailor what there is to what the individual students actually want and can use, just as I’ve shown in the past that I can.

Alongside making all this available to everyone, my priority will be simplifying the rules round the Union. While some of the restrictions placed on students are simply legal requirements, many – often revolving around giving out money or holding an election – are simply relics of tradition and can be either removed or simplified.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

Clear the way for a flow of helpful information about societies and their events so that all members of the student body can find what they need, when they need it!

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to pass on?

Our Union offers a fantastic range of support and services, but it’s often simply hard to find or hard to understand. I can improve what’s available, and make it all accessible as and when needed!

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: salt. I am a genuine Scot!

Pokemon: Vulpix; quick and capable.