DoRep Candidate: Alison Dow

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do I feel that Director […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do I feel that Director of Representation is important to St Andrews?

It allows your views, as students, to be represented at the highest levels of this the University. As DoRep, I would ensure that my actions always fairly represent the views of the student body, to both the University and on a national level.

What do you believe makes you especially qualified for the job?

I have a huge amount of experience of working on student welfare. I’m the leader of SupNet, which provides peer support for students though the Student Services Department, and I’m also a pioneering member of the Mental Wealth Campaign – where I’ve found new and innovative ways to improve student wellbeing.

I’ve also been a dedicated class rep in Geography, having important module deadlines moved and the cost of a compulsory fieldtrip reduced. Through these experiences, I’ve demonstrated my ability to work effectively and constructively with both staff and students, which are invaluable skills for a successful DoRep.

What three main principles do you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

Firstly, I want to ensure better-organised teaching, particularly with the upcoming semester reform. I care about the stress put on students at this University, and I would work to reduce the number of clashing academic deadlines.

I will invest in your school presidents, utilising their passion and maintaining communication with the DoRep, enabling them to make the most of the opportunities they have to make changes in departments.

Finally, I plan to make the Union and myself more accessible to the student body, by clearly displaying issues being discussed by the Union on the website. I want every student to feel that the Union is open for them, and that their views are represented.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

I would ensure that every decision made by the University – whether it’s about accommodation, fees or deadlines – is made with consideration of improving student wellbeing.

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to post?

As a fresh face for the SRC, I will work constantly to listen to you the students, and ensure that your views are represented to the University.

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: Sweet Chili Sauce

Pokemon: I don’t have a favourite, but I’ll represent ‘Em all!