DoES Candidate: Tom Burns

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do you feel that Director […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do you feel that Director of Events and Services position is important to St Andrews?

I feel that the position of D.O.E.S is important to St Andrews because the student body needs a representative that will make sure events are up to standard, that everyone gets the opportunity to use Union space and that the needs of the students are realised.

What do you believe makes you especially qualified for the job?

I have several years of experience in the management and planning of events including fashion shows, concerts, live music, weddings and balls around St Andrews. I have also worked in association with RaveSoc to create events that have sold out and garnered very positive receptions. For the past two years, I have run a successful audio business through which I have worked with the managers and owners of many St Andrews venues, and have forged connections with industry professionals that will be very helpful in the position of D.O.E.S. Apart from the level of experience I can bring to the job, I also pride myself on being a friendly and approachable person who is always open to having a chat about ideas that any individual would like to bring to the Union.

What three main principles do you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

I will create Union versatility, making spaces such as Venue One look different on a regular basis through the use of lighting effects etc.

I will work hard. I am already used to working long hours from juggling my degree, business and band commitments.

I will maintain an ‘open door’ policy when in my office, so that students can drop in and see me any time.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

To make the union the number one venue for entertainment in St Andrews.

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to pass on?

The events industry has become such a massive part of my life, and I am finding myself dedicating more and more time to events in St Andrews. I love the process of setting up an event, from the initial concept, contacting people, preparing the venue, to the ultimate thrill of seeing people enjoy themselves.

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: Levi Roots Reggae Reggae sauce

Pokemon: Charmander