AU President Candidate: Emily Griffiths

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do you feel that the […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do you feel that the AU president position is important to St Andrews?

Sport is a huge part of university life at St Andrews and I believe that with the help of the AU President it could be even more prominent. The Athletic Union President is responsible for 60 affiliated sports and for all recreational sporting activities. I believe it would be my role to act as a gateway between the students and the Athletic Union. Providing students with an honest and complete understanding of what is going on at the Athletic Union and feeding back successes, concerns or problems to the AU from clubs, gym members and all other facility users. It is the role of the AU President to encourage all other AU exec members to contribute and fulfil their responsibilities to the highest degree possible so that the full potential of the AU exec can be realised.

What do you believe makes you especially qualified for the job?

Having been the Ladies Golf Club Captain for the past two years, I have had a great insight into running a large and diverse club. Having also been a member of other AU clubs, I believe I have a good understanding of the opportunities and challenges that I may be faced with as AU President. I have played a number of sports at international, county, university and recreational levels and am thus aware of the range of needs of sportsmen and women. Ten months worth of internships with Accenture, a global management consultancy, has advanced my communication skills with senior personnel, time management and most importantly my team working skills. I would term myself as a democratic leader, believing that action and change is achieved most successfully if everyone believes in the cause.

What three main principles do you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

Accessibility – I want to be available for all students throughout my term as AU president. I will have a drop-in session daily so that anyone can come and talk to me. I will find the best means of communicating with students, whether through a Facebook AU president page or a different medium.

Inclusivity – Making the AU a place for all students no matter of their sporting ability.

Development – Developing links with universities in the UK and abroad. For example, setting up a yearly varsity match against Edinburgh or Stirling. The university has a wide range of contacts available to them and I believe these could be better utilised. I’d improve the gym experience and make headway with building a pool by lobbying for fundraisers from the States.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

I would probably make it a rule for all students to be involved in at least one club or society each year at university. I believe there are an incredible number of skills that can be gained through participating in extra-curricular activities – skills that can be extremely beneficial for post-university life. It’s a great disappointment to hear that some students haven’t made the most of these opportunities, largely due to the fun I fear they might have missed out on.

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to pass on?

I really am enthusiastic about this position and would work tirelessly to do as much for the student population as possible, whilst of course not setting any unrealistic tasks. Please feel free to email evg4@st-a if you have any questions or if you would like to meet.

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: Honey… If that counts…

Pokemon: Pikachu?!