Association President Candidate: Charlotte Baker

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do you feel that Association […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do you feel that Association President is important to St Andrews?

This University supports and, more specifically, encourages students to pursue academics with passion and dedication. The Union should be doing the exact same thing in terms of social/extra-curricular activities. Association President is a pivotal role, as the person in the job needs to work on behalf of the students but also needs to encourage students to take matters into their own hands! I’m thrilled to say that by the end of the year, over 30 productions will have gone up through Mermaids. We’ve had more Freshers’ Plays and are sending more shows to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival than ever before. We are also successfully running a theatre and a festival. I’ve worked hard to support and encourage those students to see their plans through: now I’m ready to do that for all students at this university.

What do you believe makes you especially qualified for the job?

I get things done and I keep my promises. If you look at my election promises from last year when running for SCC Performing Arts Officer, you’ll see that I’ve seen through everything I planned to do. Mermaids is bigger and more efficient than ever before.

While being Mermaids Pres has been amazing training for a position like Association President, I have also held positions as VP, resources officer and social convener (through Law Soc and Mermaids). Yes, I know how to lead, but I also know how to work with others, am quite skilled at making the most out of any resource stock or budget, and know how to have a bit of fun along the way.

What are the three main principles that you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

Commitment: I’m running for President because I am ready to devote all my time and energy to this position so issues concerning students can really be at the forefront of discussion next year. Just like I have done as Mermaids President this year (and next year, I won’t even have a degree to get in the way of it all!)

Efficiency: I will start making effective and positive changes to the Union as soon as I’m elected.

Open communication: It’s simple: I will tell you what I am doing and you will tell me what you want me to do. I’m not going to send you random emails with the odd attachment, there will be a fully revamped website and I will keep my door open at all times – I want to know what you think.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

There would be an affordable bedroom for every student that wished to come to St Andrews.

But I can’t snap (literally), so I’m going to have to dedicate myself next year to laying the groundwork for such a goal. As president, I will work to commit the university to accommodation-building projects as well as long-term financial plans to lower the cost of university accommodation. But the long-term is no use to the students that are here right now: I will also work with Estate Agents to create more flexible leases and attempt to coincide rent payments with student loan payments.

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to post!

Check out www.charlotteforpresident.co.uk. 

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: Raspberry jam

Pokemon: Charmander