Association President Candidate: Brook Kohn

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.   Why do you feel that Association […]

The Stand has interviewed every sabbatical candidate. If you have any other questions that you’d like us to ask them just email us.

Why do you feel that Association President is important to St Andrews?

When I visited the American Embassy in London, an employee told me St Andrews was the Dartmouth of the UK. This was a wonderful compliment; as a member of the Ivy League, Dartmouth is one of the most prestigious colleges in the US. Furthermore, Dartmouth has a $3.4 billion endowment that enables them to fund scholarships, research, and improvements to facilities. Dartmouth has about 6,000 students; St Andrews has 8,000. But St Andrews has an endowment of £34 million (around $53 million). OUR University has an endowment 1.5% the size of Dartmouth’s. We as students need to help improve this statistic! We need to show alumni our achievements so they can help ensure future students will have the opportunity to study in the best facilities with the best lecturers. During the 600th Anniversary, we have a unique opportunity to connect with alumni. We must be ready to show them what we are achieving and how important their contributions are. Furthermore, we must use social media to promote societies, research, and academic excellence so that alumni feel their donations make a difference. I will not let St Andrews suffer as government funding declines and nor should you. It is our responsibility to promote this University so it remains prestigious.

What do you believe makes you especially qualified for the job?

I have experience in elected positions such as honours rep in the School of IR and I have a strong work ethic that keeps me in the library many hours of the day. Regarding fundraising, I have attended alumni events and feel comfortable communicating your achievements. Lastly, I have experience in government, as I worked for a County Commissioner and State Senator back home in Ohio.

What are the three main principles that you plan to follow during your year as a Sabb?

A Smart Solution Towards Tuition Fee Increases: We are living in a difficult economic climate, especially regarding higher education funding. However, at St Andrews we are lucky to have the 600th Anniversary which will draw in media attention and alumni. We must use this to our advantage. I will help fundraise for student bursaries and facility improvements by telling alumni the great things you have done and why they need to ensure more can do great things in the future. Lastly, I pledge 5% of my salary to scholarships for St Andrews students and invite my other Sabbs to do so as well.

Promoting Opportunities: I want to work closely with the Careers Centre to improve your networking opportunities. Again, with the 600th Anniversary, I want to make sure you can attend drinks receptions or dinner with important visiting alumni and other professionals. Also, I have been lucky enough to apply for and receive invitations to conferences and summits all over the world. My expenses have been covered by generous organizations and I want to show you how to get involved.

I also want to establish a scholarship of up to £300 to cover a student’s travel and accommodation costs so they can participate in work experience and voluntary work around the UK and Europe.

Listening to Students: I will make it a priority to consult students as much as possible through Facebook, polling and weekly office hours that alternate between the Library Café, North Haugh, and the Union.

If you could make a major change in St Andrews today what would it be?

In a perfect world where money and building permits did not exist, I would advocate for another hall of residence to be built.

Any additional comment or message you’d like us to pass on?

I’m all Brook and no babble! And I wish all the other candidates good luck. I hope we all learn something about elections and campaigning.

(To see all the candidates, click here)

Condiment: Nutella

Pokemon: Zapdos because it was in my first pack!