St Andrean Style – The Turtleneck

So I have no qualification in, or extensive knowledge of, the fickle world of fashion. The only thing I am an expert on seems to be buying far too many […]

So I have no qualification in, or extensive knowledge of, the fickle world of fashion. The only thing I am an expert on seems to be buying far too many clothes for any one man. Subsequently, I am permanently browsing – whether it is on the high street, online or the over-indulgent Westfields London. As a result, despite not knowing all the players on the catwalk, unless of course they contributed to Blue Ivy’s wardrobe, I am quickly learning to spot what’s hot and what’s not.

This week: the turtleneck. Hot. Turtlenecks are more than a chunky layer for your winter wardrobe. Instead, with fine-knit fabrics and slim-fitting cuts, turtlenecks should be considered a staple in men’s fashion.

Although it is unlikely that you will be sauntering down the beach of your summer hot-spots in a woolen jumper and trunks, turtlenecks are much more than a layer for the chilly days. Nonetheless, St Andrean style, unlike that of Antiga, demands the art of ‘layering’ with any excursion, let alone a trip to the beach, even in the height of our summer months. The Scottish coastline is the perfect opportunity to roll out the knitwear.

Perfect for both business and pleasure, turtlenecks are already a big part of 2012’s fashion industry, whether as part of a more casual business look, under a tailored blazer, or as an easy-on-the-eye fitted top for a night at the bar. Think Apple Inc’s Steve Jobs, X Factor’s Dermot O’Leary or, of course, the lovely Michael Fassbender as Magnito. Arguably Steve Jobs didn’t quite have the same appeal as the other two but was undoubtedly key in the return of the turtleneck to the catwalk.

It wasn’t long ago that the turtleneck was invented for ‘men of the sea’ to protect their necks against the wind (apparently scarves instill some sort of Final Destination-esq paranoia amongst fishermen). Now, as 2012’s fashion season is well and truly underway, the runways’ looks are proof enough of the turtleneck being a men’s essential. The sheer amount of variety and mix of designers championing the piece has been unusually impressive. Roberto Cavalli, Calvin Klein and Hermes were a mere few. Needless to say chaps, add it to the wish list if you haven’t already picked one up. Or, have a gander online at sites like Topman, ASOS, or Mr Porter.

To finish, I ought to say; I was in London over January break and saw a short- sleeved turtleneck…just take a moment to visualize that…it goes without saying that, although none of us can be sure what will be in trend in the future, for now, turtlenecks should always be long-sleeved – unless of course you are touring the Antarctic with The Village People.

Photo © style.com