Shaken not stirred: Four on the Floor Review

Tessa Stokes reviews the vibes at FS2012’s after party: Four on the Floor. Let me begin by telling you that one of the items on my bucket list is to […]

Tessa Stokes reviews the vibes at FS2012’s after party: Four on the Floor.

Let me begin by telling you that one of the items on my bucket list is to be in at least one music video. Well, I can tell you I definitely felt like the diva I’ve always wanted to be (yes, I was abiding by my mantra, W.W.B.D: What Would Beyonce Do?) when walking into the FOUR ON THE FLOOR AFTER PARTAY. After enjoying a bad-ass fashion show, I was ready for the musical orgasms to continue.  Without surprise, they did.

The sound system was bomb, the bass made me feel like I was actually inside the woofer, and I was scolded for taking off my shoes multiple times. Sexy lighting, sexy music, and enough dance space for peeps to get crunk (which for me is the one necessity for a party). For those going ape-shit on the floor, I’m sure some had to ice their whiplash the next morning.

But vibes? If only the majority of party-goers had a bit more soul, we would have been at my grandmother’s wake. Okay… maybe that’s a little harsh, but why is it that people need to be shit-faced to have a great time? Why, when the party started, I could sense that many just felt a bit awkward and afraid to mingle? It’s unfortunate that we can’t just let our insecurities go and shake our stress away to the music. With the DJ booth at the center of the dance floor, there was a serious divide between the party-goers doing the “model dance” [i.e. the girls awkwardly swaying because their heels are too high, pursing their lips and profiling – yes, you know who you are] versus the homies getting buck on the other side. But maybe it’s because the majority by the bar wanted to use their liquid confidence to get their mack on so they could hit and quit it that night? 

The music carried the fiesta for sure, and anywhere else, the WHOLE dance floor would have been a sweaty mess. As with any party, the music makes all the difference, but when people hold the walls up…  it’s just any party.

Photos: © Amy Thompson