Five things you must do this week…

This week’s Stand Top 5 1. A Chocolate Filled Evening in St Andrews:  So we’re only halfway through Lent and our willpower levels have reached an all time low. The Facebook […]

This week’s Stand Top 5

1. A Chocolate Filled Evening in St Andrews:  So we’re only halfway through Lent and our willpower levels have reached an all time low. The Facebook purge, Greggs detox, and the promise to actually do the tutorial reading lasted all of… well, one day. So why not give in to chocolate heaven too? Fine Food & Dining Society, in partnership with the Pittenweem Chocolate Company, is hosting ‘A Chocolate Filled Evening in St Andrews’ on Thursday night at 6:30pm in the Ballroom of the Golf Hotel. The evening will feature presentations from an exquisite Chocolatier, Charlotte Flower, as well as a former buyer for Fortnum and Masons and former head of confectionery at Laduree in Paris, Chloe Doutre-Rous. Both chocolatey talks will be fully accompanied by lots of tasters – including one named ‘The Story of Chocolate’. Tickets are available online, exclusively, and are £12 for students. Nom nom.

2. “Terrorism and Counter-terrorism: What have we learned?”:  Our very own Louise is lecturing on what she knows best – Terrorism. The newly formed student think-tank, The St Andrews Institute, is hosting the evening’s lecture. It starts at 7pm tonight in School 5, Sallies Quad. Professor Richardson, Principal and Vice-Chancellor, is a world expert and has even testified before the US Senate. Whether you’re an IR Major and you have an essay due, or you simply want to hear more on the ‘sexy field of International Relations’ – this is one lecture not to miss! 

3. Dry Island Buffalo Jump and Friends with Andrew Pearson:  A folk band featuring your faves from the Arts Faculty and Andrew Pearson – he’s a chilled Second Year with some folksy tunes to capture your heart. And all of this to raise money for the Student Hardship Fund. The set is going up in Venue One on Thursday at 8:30pm thanks to the wonderful people at Music is Love. Tickets are only £4 and are available on the door. Thursday nights in the Union have been crying out for nights just like this.

4. Just So Society Turns 25 Years Old: Thursday is a busy night. But don’t you feel like dancing? The event has the tagline ‘dress smart, dance stupid’ and that’s been our St Andrews mantra, since like… day one. Just So Society is celebrating its 25 year birthday with drinks and dancing in Younger Hall starting at 8pm on Thursday. Music is gonna be loud and funky. The Blueswater Collective and Gavris (B-sides) are providing all the tunes. Tickets are available on the door or on the Union website. Dress smart, dance stupid.  

5. DONT WALK (and After Party): They just keep teasing us. And they’re just so ironic: A photography release named ‘Filling Empty Spaces’? Really, DONT WALK? Really? All of the seats on the coach to Kinkell are taken, the tables sold months ago… Empty spaces? Not one. This year DONT WALK is partying like it’s 10 years old. The fashion show has raised over £100,000 for charity since it was set up in response to the tragic events of 9/11. This year’s charity is Zamcog and with last year’s show alone raising £20,000, Zamcog will be going from strength to strength on the back of hard work and a huge night for St Andrews. The After Party is going to feature DJs who have rocked floors across Europe, and with a 2:30am drinks license – tickets are like gold dust. We bloody hope you queued in the Vic yesterday to get yours.

Photo © Alena Jascanka for DW2012