Still Life exhibition celebrates 100 years of Bell Pettrigrew museum

The free exhibition Still Life will be showing at the Gateway Galleries, from 17 March to 19 May 2012.   It commemorates the centenary of the Bell Pettigrew Museum of […]

The free exhibition Still Life will be showing at the Gateway Galleries, from 17 March to 19 May 2012.

It commemorates the centenary of the Bell Pettigrew Museum of Natural History, and tells the story of the University’s collections from the foundation of the St Andrews Literary and Philosophical Society in 1838, to the present day. 

The Bell Pettigrew is a specialised zoological museum (the stand loves animals- especially dogs) with a collection of 8,200 specimens (that’s a lot of animals) and  is used for teaching students, and for the enjoyment and inspiration of the public.The exhibition displays a selection of material that is a part of this story,  consisting of a range of zoological specimens, artworks, material from the University’s Special Collections department and a rare example from the University’s collection of scientific instruments. Objects have been chosen to provide a mixture of material, from specimens that are usually kept at the Bell Pettigrew Museum itself, to more unusual items that are not normally on public display.

The exhibition also provides an opportunity to view photographic works by Sean Dooley, of Cellardyke, who is currently working on a project based on  rare and endangered species. It also showcases a selection of artworks created using specimens in the Museum. The project is being curated by a group of postgraduate students from the University of St Andrews, as part of a one year course in Museum and Gallery Studies.

The exhibition will also host programmes of events, including a talk on Natural History, a science-themed walking tour of St Andrews, an afternoon of creating art in the exhibition space, and a special Mystery Evening in the Bell Pettigrew Museum itself.

For more information click here

Held at: Gateway Galleries, North Haugh, St Andrews, KY16 9ST

Opening Times: Monday-Friday: 9am-5pm; Saturday: 12 noon-4pm

Free admission , wheelchair access and café.

Written by the newsstand team.