Medieval harbour gets makeover

Proposals have been made to majorly redesign the medieval St Andrews harbour. It looks like one of St Andrews’ hidden historic gems is going to be getting a makeover. (Maybe […]

Proposals have been made to majorly redesign the medieval St Andrews harbour. It looks like one of St Andrews’ hidden historic gems is going to be getting a makeover. (Maybe it won’t smell like muck and fish anymore).

The plans come from the St Andrews Harbour Trust, whose vision is to have the harbour become more integrated into the town from a cultural and historic, but also economic, perspective. (Night club, please).

The redevelopment is still “ambiguous and far off” though, says Andrew Lumsden, trust chairman. Trust members are currently researching possible sources of funding, which are likely to come from a mix of local, national, and European bodies. Once the money is raised, it will be allocated for a variety of improvements, which are still undecided but likely to include tourist and leisure areas, as well as public art. (Not a night club…)

More practical improvements would also include: sector lighting to allow for navigation during night time and poor visibility, additional pontoons with adequate water, and power facilities to encourage more seafaring visitors. (Pirates!)

Unfortunately, the uncertain and long-term nature of this project means it is unlikely that any St Andrews student will see the changes during their time here. (Another library). Nevertheless, changes of reasonably distinct nature are coming to the harbour. Still, St Andrews may very well in the future have a maritime area which is vibrant all year round.

Written by Greg Pitts, newsstand writer.