Five things you must do this week…

1. Talk Radio: The Barron Theatre plays host to Talk Radio, a Pulitzer-award winning play directed by our very own Clare Sheehan. The play explores the mind of a controversial late night […]

1. Talk Radio: The Barron Theatre plays host to Talk Radio, a Pulitzer-award winning play directed by our very own Clare Sheehan. The play explores the mind of a controversial late night radio host, whose constant espousal of his inflammatory views, and ceaseless hectoring of his callers and listeners, reaps equal parts love and hate. As his radio show (and the play) rolls on, he is revealed to be just as screwed up as any of his fans, if not more. Talk Radio goes up this week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 8pm, tickets are £6 on the door or can be reserved by emailing [email protected].

2. The Great £1 Ceilidh: Let’s dance the gay gordon and flying scotsman and wash it all down with drinks for only £1 on Thursday night in Younger Hall. One of St Andrews’ premier bands, the Gaelic Mushrooms, is playing the music – they had everyone up off their feet at the RAG week Ceilidh. Find some tartan in your wardrobe and the next morning your legs will ache but you’ll feel like you’re living the actual Scottish dream. Entry is only £1 and dancing starts at 8pm.

3. Greenpeace’s 40th Birthday open mic night in Association with Green Week. Music is Love is hosting an open mic night in Venue 2 on Friday night to celebrate Greenpeace’s 40th Anniversary. Promising ‘hearty Open Mic goodness, birthday goodies, an outrageous host, and the best musical talent in the Bubble’, why not chill out just before the Green Week Jungle Bop? If you’d like to perform email [email protected] and she’ll try to squeeze you onto the line-up.

4. Once again the Very Vintage Fashion Fair rolls into town, yet this year they promise to be even better than ever… Filling Venue One with retro and vintage, delicious delicacies and rock’n’roll tunes; The Stand urges you to put down those books and spend an afternoon trawling the endless racks of denim, fur and woollen loveliness. Entrance is only £1 on the door and the fair runs from 11–4pm.

5. Voice Festival UK: On Saturday night, Younger Hall is hosting the Scottish round of the UK University Voice Festival. Four St Andrean teams – The Alleycats, The Other Guys, The Accidentals and The Hummingbirds – are competing for the opportunity to sing in the UK Finals and be crowned UK University A Cappella Champions 2012. The night of soulful blues, sweet harmonies and powerful song starts at 7pm on Saturday in Younger Hall. Tickets are available online for a discounted price or on the door if there are any left! During the afternoon there will be a series of workshops for any singer in St Andrews to sing with the competing groups and the evening’s celebrity judging panel.