Screw the KK, it’s pancake day

We put our readers in the spotlight and asked them what they think about the KK splitting in two The Stand caught up with our readers and asked them a few questions […]

We put our readers in the spotlight and asked them what they think about the KK splitting in two

The Stand caught up with our readers and asked them a few questions on the recent Kate Kennedy Club split and here’s what they said…

Hannah Frith:

Where were you when you first heard about the new Fellowship?

I was in the press conference with the KK members.

Will the old KK still be putting on a May Ball?

When I put the question to the KK members in the conference last night about whether they were still going to arrange a ball, they said they were.

Which ball would you go to?

Whichever one gives Bubble TV free tickets! I think there’s going to be a big split and I think it’s going to affect ticket sales.

How can they both still be named after the Kate Kennedy?

Because they’re both still based upon the beliefs of Kate Kennedy, as they’re still doing the work they do in her name.

Do you think the Lumsden society should make a similar move towards inclusivity?

No, I think the KK Club had every right to be a male-only club, the R&A is a male only club, sports clubs can be women-only clubs. I think they have every right to have a club that is their own thing – women can have their own club, men can have theirs.

Sophie Patterson:

Where were you when you heard about what was going on?

I heard at 8.30pm last night that something was going to break.

Current take on the situation?

To be honest, I think it’s a bit of a power thing, I mean I never had a problem with the KK only admitting men. It’s okay if men just want to be together. I think it’s a bit sneaky actually to do all these votes at 10pm.

Which club will prevail?

I imagine that the old KK has a lot of alumni and supporters. I mean, if everybody is automatically part of it, what is the Fellowship, another Union or something?

Which May Ball would you rather go to?

I don’t care, whichever one’s the best one.

Concluding thoughts?

It’s very exciting, but it’s kind of sad that we’re all so excited by it.

Local lady:

What do you think about the new Kate Kennedy fellowship?

No opinion, I’m not bothered. I don’t get involved in all that.

Jonathan Bryson, second year:

Where were you when you heard?

I was sitting in my lecture and the lads behind me were chatting about it. They were outraged!

Which May Ball would you rather go to?

As a fan of inclusivity, probably the one run by the KK Fellowship.

Anonymous Female 3rd Year:

Where were you?

I was at home, my flatmate told me.

First reaction:

A bit of a shock really!

Do you want to be part of it?

No, and I’m no sure who would want to join it. I’m quite a traditionalist, I quite approve of how it was, I mean we’ve got Lumsden if you want to join that type of society, if you’ve got an issue with it, you can raise your opinion.

Should the Lumsden Club now start accepting men?

No, they shouldn’t.

Which of the two May Balls would you rather go to?

I might not go to either. It depends where everybody else goes.

James Maclean, 3rd Year:

What’s your opinion on the new Kate Kennedy Fellowship?

I don’t really understand why it’s an issue, because they’re completely irrelevant outside St Andrews, all the good events aren’t organised by them anyway.

What about tradition?

The tradition exists beyond it. We’re all the guardians of tradition. I don’t like the way it is called the Kate Kennedy Fellowship, I think it should have a new name.

Anonymous chap:

When did you first hear about it?

Last night, I was with a friend. I think it is absolutely fabulous.

Which May ball would you go to?

The one organised by the Fellowship.

This gentleman wished to remain anonymous, and when asked why, said “ I don’t think it’s a good idea to do this right now. But I congratulated both of them”

Anonymous chap 2:

Withdrew his application to the KK as soon as he heard the new decision, because he would rather be in the KK Fellowship as opposed to the actual KK.

George Milburn:

Where were you when you heard?

I was sitting at home, on facebook.

Instant first reaction?

My first reaction was hell yeah! I thought it was about time they moved forward and about time they stepped into the 21st century and let the traditions of St Andrews belong to everyone rather than a select group of men who claim they have the right to withhold them.

Mark Stacey:

Where were you when you first heard?

I was on Facebook, and I agree with George but I feel we will lose something of the University’s history, because despite the fact that it might be a bit elitist, it’s nice to have something like that around town.

Harriet Fowler:

Where were you when you found out?

I got a BBM this morning from my friend whilst I was in my bed.

What’s your opinion on the new inclusive Kate Kennedy Fellowship?

I think it’s been a long time coming, I think it’s great that they’re now inclusive, I think the opt-out option will probably be used by a lot of people.

Will you opt out?

I’m not going to, because I think it’s progress towards inclusion and inclusion is good in any sense.

If there were two May Balls, which would you choose to go to?

The Ball with the best La Bamba ride really!

Photos: © Bee Vellacott