The New Vic

The brief time when the Vic was closed for renovations was hardly a pleasant period in the history of St Andrews’ nightlife. Finishing an evening in the Lizard most nights was […]

The brief time when the Vic was closed for renovations was hardly a pleasant period in the history of St Andrews’ nightlife. Finishing an evening in the Lizard most nights was far from ideal, so, with hope and expectation I strode into the new Vic last Thursday, praying that St Andrews finally had a classy venue to cater to our nocturnal needs.

The Vic pre-refurbishment suffered from an identity crisis, to use Glaswegian parlance, “it didn’t know whether it was coming or going”. However, it has at last found its niche. The new décor is certainly much more individual than before; the distressed wood, introduction of individual booths, and quirky inclusions in the main bar (such as games of Connect Four) all help create a relaxed atmosphere where you can kick back after lectures or spend a long evening getting more and more ‘mojitoed’. The Cabin, or the new Social Club (to give it its proper title), benefits from an enlarged dance floor and more seats which, on Saturday night, allowed for a large crowd to shuffle along to a set from Charlie Duthie. Getting served at both bar areas was much more fluid than before, meaning that a French Martini could be in your hand at fairly regular intervals (woop).

The Vic seems to have created a venue that is simultaneously a place for the “pre-game” and a “main event” in one convenient location. Whether its popularity holds up remains to be seen, but from the queue’s outside every night, it doesn’t look like it’ll be fading anytime soon. The concept of a ‘dual venue’ can work; two of the most established Glasgow night spots, Karbon and The Buff Club, have an attached bar before descending into the club.  In the case of The Vic, we are off to a promising start – the buzz about the place on each night was palpable.

The weeks to come will be a test of its mettle (and distressed wood). 

Written by Andrew McQuillan, standing-room-only writer

Photos: © Ben Kenny