Look of the Week: The Long & Short of it

When Rachel McAdams stepped out at a movie premiere in LA last week all eyes were most definitely on her. Dressed in a stunning Peter Som blue floral maxi skirt […]

When Rachel McAdams stepped out at a movie premiere in LA last week all eyes were most definitely on her. Dressed in a stunning Peter Som blue floral maxi skirt complete with thigh-high slit, she brightened up the winter weather with an early touch of Spring.  Combining two key trends for Spring 2012 – florals and longer length skirts – Rachel made a very fashionable statement, particularly by keeping the outfit from looking outdated by daringly showing off some skin.

Rachel paired her skirt with a simple knitted top in a matching shade of blue and simple accessories, ensuring that her dramatic skirt remains the statement piece. Maxi skirts are set to be a popular piece this upcoming season. Sexy side splits are a common detail in plenty of couture collections whilst at London Fashion Week Mulberry showcased their sheer floaty pleated long skirts with plenty of other high fashion designers have followed suit. Valentino, Chanel and Gucci have all featured sheer long length dresses and skirts in their Spring/Summer collections and celebrities and models such as the Olsen twins, Anne Hathaway and Rosie Huntington-Whitely have all been spotted rocking the look on the red carpet.

Whilst Rachel and her vibrant floral skirt injects a little bit of summer into the dreary February weather, it is probably best to remember her look in the months to come and not replicate it during the midst of the current big freeze. That being said, however, maxi skirts are one of the easiest statement pieces to wear that can be transitioned from season to season. The key is in the accessories. For now, why not try a block colour maxi skirt paired with tights and biker boots for a casual look? Or pair it with a contrasting colour cosy knitted jumper or cardigan. Add a belt to create definition around your waist and you’re all set.

For your next night out, dare to be different and try pairing a sheer skirt with heels and big hair to get that coveted Mulberry look. For inspiration, look to the Olsen twins – a sheer maxi skirt can be hard to pull off but they prove that it can work if you stick to a semi-sheer version and are well covered up on top. Less is more. Check out American Apparel and Topshop for their ranges of maxi skirts in all shades, styles and fabrics; you’re bound to find one to suit your own personal style.

So, this week, think about branching out from the usual jeans and boots combo and try a maxi skirt. It’s the start of a new semester and what better for it than to take a risk with a new look? You’ll have everyone’s heads turning as you float on by on your way to class.