Exasperated about exchange programmes

Frustration. Disappointment. Rage. Those three words basically sum up my feelings towards our ‘world class’ university’s study abroad programme.   As an Arabic student, I had envisioned a third year […]

Frustration. Disappointment. Rage. Those three words basically sum up my feelings towards our ‘world class’ university’s study abroad programme.

As an Arabic student, I had envisioned a third year consisting of studies in Syria, immersed in Arabic culture, whilst topping off my tan and smoking shisha. As the situation in Syria dramatically worsened, however, the programme was cancelled and I, among many students, was deprived of a crucial opportunity to actually study in the Arab world. As annoyed as I am, my frustration does not lie with the cancellation of the programme, prompted as it was by a series of unfortunate events for which the University cannot be blamed.

I am, however, absolutely disappointed with the University’s response, for example, in my case, I only had two study abroad options to begin with: exchanges in Egypt and Syria. At the time of the application, the circumstances in Cairo were rather tumultuous, so I opted for the ‘safer’ choice of Damascus. By the end of March, we all knew that the cancellation of the Damascus exchange was inevitable, but weren’t able to take a course of action as the University had not ‘officially’ called off the programme.

When the University ‘officially’ announced the cancellation in early May, we were left without living arrangements or alternative study abroad options. Nonetheless, the accommodation office turned us away when approached with our desperate requests for shelter. They only offered us housing when another student fervently lobbied to the administration, but what non-fresher would want to go back to eating potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while getting your life micro-managed by an overweight warden who clearly hasn’t gotten any action since the Clinton administration? So there I was mid-May, already stressed with the burden of exams, scrambling for a flat to live in.

So yes, in the end I found a flat, but didn’t get to go abroad. Now this brings me to explain my absolute rage against the University’s programme: why did we only have two options to begin with?

For example, my friend who is studying abroad in St Andrews this semester informed me that studying abroad is a requirement at his school (a liberal arts institution that is much smaller than St Andrews) in the States and the students can study at unaffiliated institutions all over the world if they offer courses relevant to the students’ subject. And do we have that option? Nope.

If you take a look at the study abroad page on the University website, a host of possible exchanges are listed for every single subject. But don’t be fooled by the extensive list – the majority of the institutions only offer one to three spots per year and some options are degree specific. For example, University of Missouri- or #371 on ‘QS World University Rankings 2011/12’ only has ONE place available for St Andrews (#97) students wanting to study there.

Furthermore, even though we see JSA/JYA students trotting down Market Street with their Brown, Colgate, or Holy Cross hoodies, those institutions are nowhere to be seen on the list. And even if you have received the golden ticket out of the bubble, the stress endured during the waiting process, as well as the housing conundrum in your exchange destinations, probably levels out your newfound joy.

Despite difficulties and anxiety over the whole process and the uncertainty of the outcome, most students who have studied abroad give rave reviews on their time abroad and would highly recommend the idea to all students. But what kills me is that getting these absolutely necessary study abroad placements is even more of a herculean task than securing a dinner reservation for two at Noma.

So, what are we to do about this dilemma? Stephen Jarvie, an International Relations student who has just been on an exchange at Emory University in the States, told me that the only solution is:

“We as STUDENTS have to push the administration to establish more exchange opportunities,” so we can all experience the major perquisite of studying abroad, “going to a place you really want to be in.”

Would this be a difficult battle? Probably, as the main reason for the incredibly skewed incoming to outgoing ratio of exchange students has to do with finances. Due to the fact that our fees are significantly lower than those of our partner exchanges (especially the ones in North America), many institutions in turn are hesitant to offer more openings and St Andrews is likely to offer more positions for higher fees. However, financial issues should not have to come between our chances to enhance our education by broadening our horizons through international student exchanges. I mean after all, shouldn’t more St Andrews hoodies – or should I say the iconic St Andrean combination of Barbours and Hunters – be seen worldwide?

By Yeji Moon Monda, standpoint writer