Five things you must do this week…

Fine Food Fayre and Market:  Fine Food and Dining Society, in association with RAG week, is hosting a foodie wonderland in Venue 1 from 4 – 8pm. Inter-semester in Paris […]

Fine Food Fayre and Market:  Fine Food and Dining Society, in association with RAG week, is hosting a foodie wonderland in Venue 1 from 4 – 8pm. Inter-semester in Paris has really hit your wallet and, since then, your week has been spent lurking in the reduced price aisle in Tesco and scraping the mould off the remnants in your fridge. Tesco-Value custard just ain’t up to your wonderful life sampling croissants and macaroons on the Champs-Élysées. We think you deserve a gastronomical treat this weekend. The Fayre will be bursting with different delicious delicacies from our favourite restaurants, delis and St Andrews societies, all served with a side order of jazz and blues by the house band. Tickets are £6.

The History Debate:  Maybe we should do something serious this week. If you need an intellectual challenge, the Union Debating Society in association with History Society is hosting ‘This House would Declare War on Germany’ set in 1914 on the eve of war. Each speaker will be taking on a character from the pre-war cabinet and major thinkers of the time, with Patrick O’Hare as Ramsay MacDonald and Sam Fowles as Bertrand Russell. Let’s put their historical knowledge and acting ability to the test, and think long and hard about the decisions made in 1914 that shaped the 20th Century. With Port served from 7:30pm and drinks after in the Byre this will be an evening well spent.

Itchy Feet:  Since leaving us last year Itchy Feet has paid a visit to our friends in Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham and Oxford and we’re itching for another good old fashioned knees up. This year there will be no chilly ride out to Crail as the Union is hosting the party on Thursday from 8pm – 2am and tickets are only £10 available online, Early Bird Tickets have already gone, or get them outside the Union this week.

Auditions Workshop:  Mermaids’ President, Charlotte Baker, has a lively theatre calendar ahead this semester and if As You Like It has set the standard then we’re in for a real thespian treat this term. On the Rocks Festival goes up towards the end of the semester and you could be part of the spectacular. Mermaids is hosting an Auditions Workshop Sunday at 4pm in the Barron Theatre where actors and newcomers will be chatting audition technique and theatre in St Andrews.

Tribal Bop:  We’re supposed to be feeling refreshed but all we feel like doing is crawling under an Empire pizza box and hibernating for another week before tutorials start. You know Empire will happen this Friday night… so why not dance off those cheesy chips at the Bop? You’ll feel like a REFRESHAA (down it Refreshaa.. Does it have the same ring?) and you’ll see everyone you haven’t already bumped into in Tesco. See you there or in the 1:50am Empire queue afters.