The ultimate Valentine’s Day film guide, whatever romantic situation you’re in

For you and whoever you’re cuddling up with this year

Lockdown has left couples to be more creative on Valentine’s Day. As much as we want to spend a night out with our loved ones, companies are finding new ways to keep things virtual and entertaining. A cosy night in watching movies can be an excellent alternative.

If you fancy making a night out of it, watch films with a couple of friends (with a cocktail if you are feeling bougie) on FaceTime, Netflix Party or Amazon Video Watch Party.  There are so many options to choose from. Perhaps too many, but what else have we got to do?

For all the couples, singletons and situationships out there, I have compiled a list of films tailored to the mood you are in that day.

If you’re chilling with the girls

Bridesmaids (2011) is an all-time comedy classic. This film delves into the character of Annie (Kristan Wigg), a single woman whose life is a constant mess. Issues arise when she becomes the maid of honour for her best friend’s wedding and creates chaos when conflicted by one of the other bridesmaids.

This film focuses upon women’s friendships and the importance of them, as friends can persevere through anything. A laugh out loud comedy which fits perfectly for a girl’s night in, or if you’re upset, Bridesmaids will be there to uplift your night away.

Available on Amazon Prime

If you are waiting for ‘the one’

If you are feeling extremely romantic and eager to watch a film about the power of waiting. Sandra Bullock’s emotional love story, The Lake House (2006), is just for you.

The Lake House is a heart wrenching romance about two people who are torn apart, as they can only communicate through different year zones. A time travelling love story for anyone who is in for an emotional ride that is heavily romantic.

Available on Netflix

If you’re high on romance

Pride and Prejudice (2005), like many Jane Austen’s adaptations is a beautiful love story following Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters dealing with marriage, morality and reputation. Joe Wright maintains the humour, wit and sexual tension in such a delicate manner; somehow you can’t help but find yourself beaming throughout.

Another great alternative is Brokeback Mountain (2005).

This romantic drama is an impactful film which might very well break your heart, leaving you to think about it still the following day.

In 1963, Ennis and Jack meet when they take on their new jobs as Shepherds – spending all summer in the mountains alone. As weeks go by, they develop a strong sexual and emotional relationship. However, their relationship becomes more complicated when they seperate to begin their own lives.

If you’re in need of a laugh

Interested in literature and art? Midnight in Paris (2011) is a whimsical story, filled with clever dialogue and a talented cast. It follows a writer and his fiancé taking a tour around Paris. One night on his own midnight stroll, he gets swept away by some very extraordinary people, where he is taken to a jazz bar in the 1920s.

If you don’t feel romantic

Seven (1995) is about two detectives hunting to discover the serial killer who’s each kill reflects one of the seven deadly sins.

If romance is not on the cards, David Fincher masters to create a grim crime thriller with an unforgettable twist.

Available on Netflix

If you’re in the mood for a scare

No romance? Then go for a horror.

Hereditary (2018), directed by Ari Aster follows a mentally, drained mother discovering a mysterious presence after the death of her grandmother. A shocking rollercoaster ride of emotions with a mind-bending finale.

Midsommar is another one of Aster’s horror films available on Amazon Prime.

If you need something brand new

Looking for something new?

Malcom and Marie directed by Sam Levinson (director of the teenage drama-series Euphoria) filmed a mid/low budget film, during lockdown. The black and white romantic drama, has just been released on Netflix February 5, 2021, starring Zendaya and John David Washington.

A filmmaker and his girlfriend, whose relationship is tested after they arrive from the film premiere. The film explores the intensity and fragility within a relationship. Some people call it a love story. Critics call it a ‘romantic reckoning’. The talented cast portray the emotional torment of the two characters, instantly immersing you from the very opening scene.

If you want to feel empowered

Fancy a witty film about two heroines?

Thelma and Louise (1991) follows a waitress and a housewife, two best friends who decide to take on a road trip together. However, the short trip turns long, as Louise is forced to shoot a man, which results them to run away from the law. A funny, heart-breaking, action thrilled classic which re-defines women in film.

Or how about a Disney film? I mean you can never go wrong with Disney.

Brave (2012) explores a mother and daughter relationship. The strength of their love is the power in which saves the family.

If you need an easy-going romance

Valentine’s Day is an easy-going romantic comedy (quite obviously), with an ensemble cast following stories of different types of relationships, all taken place in Los Angeles.

There are thousands of more films to recommend; however, I hope these suggestions spark a choice, resulting into laughter, a cry, or without needing to scroll for hours until someone falls asleep before you pick one.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

11 ways Soton students are spending their Valentine’s Day in lockdown

Valentine’s Day is the worst holiday of the year and here’s every single reason why

Being single on Valentine’s Day is actually the best here’s why