Update: Soton Uni confirms online teaching to continue until at least 12 April

Online teaching has been extended by two months

The University of Southampton has confirmed that online teaching will continue until at least 12 April.

Previously the university had moved all teaching online until at least 22nd February.

In an email sent to students this morning the university said: “Having considered further government and public health announcements, and because we want to provide as much clarity and stability to students as possible, University Executive Board has made the decision that all classroom-based teaching activity will continue to be fully online at least until 12 April, following the Easter Vacation.”

The university encourages students should remain where they are. The email said: “This means if you’re currently away from Southampton/Winchester, you shouldn’t return to campus and/or halls of residence until in-person, on-campus teaching resumes.

“This is also the case for students who are currently in Southampton/Winchester, you should also remain where you are and avoid travelling, in line with government guidance.”

However, the email said: “We do recognise that some students may need support, access to IT equipment, library or other facilities that means they are not able to safely or successfully study away from campus.

“Therefore, if a student feels that they need to return to campus on this basis then they should, but they must follow the guidance upon their return to isolate until two negative Covid-19 tests have been received.”

If students have not registered for Covid-19 saliva testing they can register here.

The university will keep the situation under constant review as guidance from the government is updated.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Soton uni to release assessment adjustment information this week

Solent investigating after students throw 21st birthday party in lockdown

I’m an international student and I feel like we’ve been forgotten in the pandemic