Halloween in Soton: All the things you can do this spooky season

Beyond walking down Portswood high-street circa 9pm…

It’s that time again, Halloween. Just as autumn starts rolling in and the evenings get darker, spooky season descends upon us.

Despite the fact you can’t go to any house parties this year (it usually feels like they last all of Halloween week), we’ve compiled together some slightly more Covid-safe plans you can do in Southampton this October:

1. Pumpkin picking

Of course, we have to kick off with the classic. In the words of my housemate, “everyone and their mum has gone pumpkin picking this year”.

Hampshire offers a few pumpkin patches but the one in Fordingbridge is potentially the best. You simply turn up, park, and take a wheelbarrow to go picking with. Unlike others where you have to pay for a picking session, this one is free!

The pumpkins work out at roughly £3 each, proper bargain proper nice!

2. Hayling Island Fright Night Fireworks

Whilst technically not in Soton (sorry misled you there), there will be fireworks and spooky festivities at Hayling Island on Saturday from 5 to 9pm.

So if you don’t fancy an evening of drinking or just don’t feel the new Jesters or Sobar cuts it, you could take a trip to Hayling Island instead. It costs £10.00 per person, although with the ticket you get entry to two mazes and unlimited use of rides whilst there.

3. Halloween themed river tour

Between the 26th and the 30th, Beaulieu River at the New Forest will be running Halloween themed river tours. Going out at dusk, you’ll be taken along the river in a lit up canoe, stopping along the way to hear ghost stories by night time guides.

Sessions start at 6:30pm and run until 8:30pm, meaning you can still fit in any other spooky activities you have planned.

4. Scream park @ Lymington strawberry fields

Unfortunately, this year the organisers behind the Scream Park that usually takes place in Lymington at the Strawberry Fields have cancelled the event (another one, cheers c o r o n a). However, we’ve included it anyway just in case you fancy it next year.

Usually, the scream park involves numerous spooky attractions (called Nocturnal, Funhouse, and Ward 13) and has actors dotted around the field to keep up the scary vibes. It also has a bar on-site and an entertainment marquee.

5. Drive-in cinema – The Blair Witch Project

I don’t know about you but I’m still yet to try out a drive-in cinema. However, I can’t think of a more appropriate time than Halloween when sitting in your car in the dusk watching a spooky movie really would give you the chills.

On the 30th, organisers in Basingstoke are running a drive-in cinema. Tickets are £30 per car, so split between you and your pals, you can watch something on the big screen from the comfort of your own car. Think about all the snacks…

6. Halloween Bingo Lingo

Bingo Lingo is always popular here in Soton, although to add to the hype, they’ve specifically organised a Halloween fuelled version.

Promising full venue decor and *stage demons*, it sounds like a treat. Moreover, just in case you were missing clubbing, it will be held inside Switch where all your messy memories can resurface.

7. Southampton ghost tour

Hosted by Supernatural Tours and See Southampton, this Halloween you can take part in a ghost tour round the city to learn about Soton’s eerie past.

Surprisingly, there are quiet a few historic locations and buildings known for their spooky nature, including The Bargate, The Merchants Hall, West Gate and the Tudor House.

Even better, the ghost tours are super affordable and run into November if you’re already busy for October!