These are all the Southampton restaurants providing free school meals

A restaurant where Rishi Sunak worked as a waiter is offering free meals

Last week, 322 Conservative MPs against the extension for children during the October half term.

Only two MPs in Hampshire voted in favour of the motion. Alan Whitehead, MP for Southampton Test, voted in favour whilst other Southampton MPs, Royston Smith (Southampton Itchen) and Caroline Nokes (Romsey and Southampton North) voted with their party against the extension.

Businesses in Southampton have come out in support of Marcus Rashford’s campaign to provide free school meals for children over the half term.

Here are the Southampton businesses offering free meals:

Cafe Thrive

Cafe Thrive, a vegan cafe, shared on their Instagram that they “stand with Marcus Rashford not the 322 MPs who voted No to extending free school meals over the school holidays”. During half-term (Monday 26th to Friday 30th) they are offering a free packed lunch for any child in need.

View this post on Instagram

We stand with Marcus Rashford not the 322 MPS who voted NO to extending free school meals over the school holidays, during a time which has been particularly tough for a lot of families. 2020 has been very challenging for us, much like it has been for most, but along with other local business’, we want to step in and help where our government refuses to! From Monday 26th- Friday 30th we are offering a free packed lunch for any child in need (sandwich, piece of fruit, juice carton and crisps). Please email BEFORE 5pm the day before you wish to collect and pick up the following day between 12 and 2.30pm. No child should go hungry in 2020 – please forward on to anyone you know who may benefit. There’s no shame in needing help – we are community! contact: [email protected] #endchildpoverty #marcusrashford #toryscumbags

A post shared by Cafe Thrive Southampton (@cafethrivesouthampton) on

Dhaba59

Dhaba59, an Indian restaurant near Ocean village, also posted on their Instagram saying “No vouchers? No problem”. They are “offering free kids meals to those who would normally receive school meal vouchers. This is not about politics, it’s about doing what’s right”.

Docks Coffee

Docks Coffee said: “We are proud to support @marcusrashford ‘s campaign and offer free lunch to children on free school meals over half term in Southampton.”

Kuti’s Brasserie

Kuti’s Brasserie will be offering free hot meals to any child over half term. Rishi Sunak worked at the restaurant “for fun” when he was younger – earlier this year the owner told The Daily Echo he’s good friends with Rishi’s father. Rishi Sunak voted against the plan to extend free school meals over the holidays.

Lakaz Maman

Lakaz Maman are offering four different meals to children under 16 who would normally get free school meals. The meals are: Chicken Cari with Saffron Rice, Butterbean Cari with Saffron Rice, Chicken and Mango Wrap, and Butterbean Wrap.

View this post on Instagram

FREE MEALS FOR UNDER 16s ALL OF NEXT WEEK DURING HALF TERM. We don’t want to stand with the 322 MPS that voted no to extending free school meals we want to stand with @marcusrashford – and so Lakaz Maman wants to do our part to make sure no kids go hungry during half term in Southampton. So for those of you that usually get a free school meal come and get your free meal from us totally free, no questions and no judgement. Please email [email protected] and select one of the following provide your name 1. Chicken Cari with Saffron Rice 2. Butterbean Cari with Saffron Rice 3. Chicken and Mango Wrap 4. Butterbean Wrap We will email back to let you know when you can collect your free meal. This will be on a first come first serve basis. Collection is only between Monday to Friday 5pm – 6pm and please make sure you wear a mask and take note of our covid rules on social distancing You will need to have received a confirmation email from us in order for us to provide a free meal so please make sure you have emailed at least 24 hours in advance so we can get your meal prepared fresh. We hope this goes someway to helping our City that we love #EndChildFoodPoverty #MarcusRashford Shelina Permalloo – Owner, Lakaz Maman 22 Bedford Place, SO15 2DB

A post shared by Mauritian Street Kitchen (@lakazmaman) on

Masala Madness

Masala Madness will be providing children eligible for free school meals a portion of chicken curry and basmati rice.

FREE MEAL for our local children during school holidays, share this post for those to receive free meal #EndChildFoodPoverty

Visit our website for other offers https://www.masalamadness.co.uk/

Posted by Masala Madness on Thursday, 22 October 2020

Robins Nest Emporium

Robins Nest Emporium are offering free meals this half term at both their Southampton and Fareham branches.

5 Rivers Pub

5 Rivers Pub said “no child should go hungry” and are offering a free packed lunch takeaway during half term.

@marcusrashford #endchildfoodpoverty #inboxyourordersadaybefore #placeyourordersby9pm

Posted by 5 Rivers Pub Southampton on Saturday, 24 October 2020

Uni Kebab Southampton

Uni Kebab said: “As a local family run business we will be doing our part to help our local community during these already tough times. It’s not about politics but about doing what’s right.” They’re also offering free meals.

📣 FREE MEALS FOR UNDER 16s MON-FRIDAY DURING HALF TERM!
Following the government’s decision not to extend Free School…

Posted by ‎Uni Kebab Southampton حلال‎ on Saturday, 24 October 2020

Vunkies

“We know how hard it can be for parents and want to ease the stress anyway we can, even if small”, Vunkies said in an Instagram post.

“We will be offering curry and pasta dishes, all plant based, full of nutrition. No child should be going hungry in 2020.”

View this post on Instagram

We are offering free hot meals for collection at Vunkies next week for kids under 16 who would normally receive free school meals, we don’t like to discuss politics on business pages but we have to say we do not agree at all with the decision made by the government. We know how hard it can be for parents and want to ease the stress anyway we can, even if small. So please drop us a message (you will be kept anonymous and no questions will be asked) 24 hours before collecting your hot meals and we will ensure it is freshly made. We will be offering curry and pasta dishes, all plant based, full of nutrition. No child should be going hungry in 2020. Please share with anyone who may need. Vunkies x #southampton #marcusrashford #endpoverty

A post shared by vunkies (@vunkiesofficial) on

Mettricks Tea and Coffee House

In an Instagram post Mettricks said: “during the hardest times many of us have ever known, we are going to join the countless other organisations who are stepping in to do the right thing and ensure the most vulnerable kids in our city get some decent food next week. It is never a child’s fault that they go hungry, and we as a society owe it to our children to see that they have every chance to succeed in this world.”

View this post on Instagram

Mettricks supports free school meals during half term. Mettricks doesn’t do party politics. We are engaged with the world around us, passionate about improving our city and the communities we are part of. We think the world is a better place if there are spaces like ours where people can engage positively with all of the issues and challenges we face on a human level, and that a melting pot of different ideas, perspectives and lived experiences are welcome here. But, during the hardest times many of us have ever known, we are going to join the countless other organisations who are stepping in to do the right thing and ensure the most vulnerable kids in our city get some decent food next week. It is never a child’s fault that they go hungry, and we as a society owe it to our children to see that they have every chance to succeed in this world. And so next week, Monday-Friday, 10am-6pm, we will provide a meal for any child who would normally be supported with a free meal at school. There will be no catch, no purchase necessary, no need to prove anything. We will trust our fellow Sotonians not to take advantage at a time that we as a business are struggling to recover if they don’t need it, but we will willingly share what we have with those who do need it this coming week. There’s no debate about being deserving or undeserving. Kids deserve to eat decent food, every day of the year, whatever circumstance they find themselves in. For the first few years I received free school meals as my mum worked hard to get our little family back on its feet. And next week, Mettricks will proudly do our little bit to support the future of our city. Spencer 💛

A post shared by Mettricks Tea & Coffee House (@mettricks) on

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Grab life by the boobs: Meet Southampton’s Uni Boob Team

There are 11 pandemic personalities in Soton and you’re definitely one of them

‘Widespread ableism is exhausting’: What it’s like being a disabled student at Soton