The Soton Tab is looking for new writers and we want you!

Our open meeting is this Thursday at 5pm via Zoom!

Looking to meet new people, create cool content, and be the first to know all the latest news in Southampton? The Soton Tab is looking for new team members!

The Soton Tab is written by Soton students, for Soton students. We will be kicking off the year with our first open meeting on Thursday, 11th February 2021. See our Facebook event here.

Anyone is welcome to turn up, meet our editors and current team members and get involved in one of the largest student news sites in the country.

What’s The Tab?

The Tab is a student news site across over 30 UK universities, with over six million monthly readers. Writing for the Soton Tab, we’ll share your stories to our Soton Tab Facebook and Instagram page.

There is no limit to the range of stories we cover, from being the first to break stories in Southampton, such as interviewing a Soton lecturer in a necrophilia row, to focusing on real current issues.

Along with news, we also write articles that offer advice and keep students up to date with local topics such as new Covid-19 measure at the university.

Our articles also include fun features and guides, like when we went clubbing in Oceana in our pyjamas.

Why The Tab?

Why should you write for us? Modern news media is moving away from print, and writing for us means your stories will reach thousands of readers. The Soton Tab is a great way to get involved in a range of opportunities, from firing out quick news pieces or writing current and relatable features, to creating memes and posts to engage and expand audiences on our social media platforms.

Our team works with an Assistant Editor, who is based at The Tab HQ in London. They offer training for all our team in reporting news and key insight into writing features that will be read by thousands.

If you’re looking to get into media, look no further for great experience that leads to fantastic opportunities. Tab alumni often go on to work for big name global publications, such as VICE, The Times and Vogue.

Not looking for a career in media? Writing for The Tab offers experience and skills in a range of areas, no matter what you want to do.

Join The Tab

If you want to get involved, click going on our Facebook event!

Got a pitch for an article? Get in touch:

• DM us on Instagram.

• Message our Facebook page.

• Submit your pitch here.

We’re particularly encouraging students from minority backgrounds to sign up. If you feel like journalism isn’t typically accessible for people from your background, please do get in touch via Facebook or Instagram. No experience is needed, and you’ll have guidance from experienced editors to get you up and running, whether news or features is your thing. The process is simple. You don’t even need to apply – just get drop us a message if you’re interested and we’ll get you writing.

Follow us on Instagram and Twitter and like us on Facebook for all the latest Southampton student news, memes, and guides.