‘Thanks for all you’re doing’: New Banksy artwork revealed at Soton Hospital

The artwork is a tribute to NHS workers

A new piece of artwork by Banksy has been put on display at Southampton General Hospital.

The artwork features a boy in dungarees playing with a nurse toy whose arms are arranged in a ‘superman’ position. The nurse wears a cape, a face mask and a white apron with a red cross on it. It also shows a toy basket with discarded Batman and Spiderman toys in it.

Banksy shared an image of the artwork on his Instagram and captioned it “Game Changer”.

The Daily Echo reports that Banksy had left a note for the hospital workers which said: “Thanks for all you’re doing. I hope this brightens the place up a bit, even if its only black and white.”

Paula Head, the Chief Executive at the hospital, tweeted that she was “so proud to reveal this amazing piece of art Painting for Saints, created by Banksy as a thank you to all those who work with and for the NHS and our hospital.” She also called it “an inspirational backdrop to pause and reflect in these unprecedented times.”

Daniel Winter-Bates, a member of University Hospital Southampton, tweeted he was “honoured to be one of the first to see” the artwork. He included an image of both himself and Paula Head standing next to the Banksy piece, which is located on Level C of the hospital.

It has been reported that the artwork will stay in the hospital until the government lifts lockdown measures where it will then be auctioned. The money raised from the auction will go to NHS charities according to a spokeswoman for Banksy.

Featured image via Instagram @banksy