Soton student company is helping those in need during the pandemic

Future Brew is delivering the goods, literally

Future Brew, a company run by Soton students, best known for their sustainable beer brewed from bread, have stepped up during these difficult times to help some of those most in need.

The student led company is selling mystery bags of the food that would otherwise be thrown away by local supermarkets. For every mystery bag purchased, Future Brew will deliver another mystery bag to a vulnerable family who may otherwise depend on their kids receiving their main meals at school.

These bags can include fruit, veg, bakery items and snacks. The bags cost five pounds and every penny goes to those in need with no profits going to the company.

We spoke to Future Brew to get their side of the story, here’s what they told us:

“We launched the initiative based off conversations that we had previously had with our local partner schools. We realised that due to the unprecedented circumstances of lockdown, many school children have been left without the support of free school meals.

“That’s why we have made it our mission to reach out to as many schools, churches and organisations to find those most vulnerable families and support them, to ultimately fight the war against day-hunger.

“Every time we deliver a mystery bag and see the smile of gratitude on someone’s face, it makes it the whole process worthwhile.”

The company told The Soton Tab, “Future Brew’s two core purpose pillars are to redistribute food waste and to educate people how to reduce their waste.

“We know conclusively that when these two pillars are put into action, we can reduce macro food hunger and poverty, whilst reducing co2 emissions.”

So far Future Brew has distributed over 2000 meals to vulnerable families, and saved over three tonnes of Co2 by preventing food entering landfill.

Every bag bought supports a vulnerable family

For every bag bought, a vulnerable family is helped. Each bag equates to up to three times more food than you would buy from the supermarket for the same price, plus a free home delivery. Check out their website to see how you can get involved.