Image may contain: Portrait, Photo, Photography, Female, Head, Necktie, Tie, Face, Person, Human, Accessory, Glasses, Accessories

‘I am a brown belt third stripe at Karate’ : Fiona Sunderland is running for VP Activities

She says communication is key

Why do you think you’d be good in this role?

I have a lot of experience being involved in societies and running them, and I think I know what’s worked well, what hasn’t and where the union is really lacking.

What is the most important point in your manifesto?

I’d like to think it’s all important, but I think number 1 priority is communication. Making sure I’m quick and responsive to emails/messages, and making sure I’m putting out all the info I can about what’s going on particularly to committees , just making sure everyone is always kept in the loop.

What is the first thing you’d change if you were elected?

There’s certainly a lot of things I want to start getting on with immediately, but practically I think first thing will be looking at funding guidelines/caps and how they’re allocated to make sure societies are getting best use of union funding ready for freshers.

What area of our Student Union do you think needs the greatest improvement?

Efficiency. I think the Union is majorly lacking in efficiency. For starters if block booking and funding were allocated in more sensible ways, it would really increase the use all the societies get of the union space, and make best use of grants. Also managing emails and contact information because often it’s not clear who you should be contacting and getting response is often slow and unhelpful.

What makes you different from the other candidates also running for the same position?

I’m really commited to everything I do, I’m never half-hearted about anything I’m apart of. I’m able to balance everything I do, really well (as being on 5 committees and getting a first in a maths degree shows) and will easily able to stay on top of everything this job requires. I’m super communicative and I’m always instantly contactable (unless I’m driving, sleeping, in a concert or in the shower). I have a lot of leadership experience and I’m comfortable taking on this new challenge.

How would you celebrate if you won?

??????????

Any secret talents?

I play a lot of instruments (flute, alto&tenor sax, bass guitar, double bass, some very questionable trombone etc.) but that’s probably not secret.

I’m also a brown belt 3rd stripe at karate.

What is the maddest thing you’ve done since being at Uni?

Uh my parents might read this so let’s just say it inolves the Jesters Two-bicle

Favourite post-night-out food

C H E E S Y C H I P S

What is your favourite Soton tab meme?

Anything insulting Solent I always find a chuckle, but this one is certainly most relatable