Image may contain: Street, Roof, Town, City, Wheel, Machine, Neighborhood, Road, Asphalt, Tarmac, Building, Suburb, Urban, Person, Human, Vehicle, Automobile, Car, Transportation

Police appeal for witnesses after a 17-year-old boy was shot near Burgess Road on Monday night

The incident took place less than a mile from Highfield campus

Police are appealing for witnesses after a 17-year-old boy was taken to hospital with gunshot wounds to his legs and ankles. The incident took place on Monday night at around 22:15pm on Bluebell Road, which is off Burgess Road and roughly a 10-minute walk from Highfield campus.

Detectives remained at the scene on both Monday and Tuesday as they cordoned off a part of Bluebell Road for forensic enquiries.

Hampshire police have appealed for witnesses in the hopes of finding out more information as to what had happened. They also stated that the boy's injuries were not life threatening.

A second tweet explained that they believe this incident poses no risk to the wider community and the rest of the residences living on or around Bluebell Road.

Detective Inspector Adam Edwards has also stated this to the public: “We also have a number of officers carrying out extra patrols to provide reassurance in the local community. If you have any concerns, or if you have any information, please speak to one of the officers, or your local neighbourhood policing team.”

If any students living on or around Bluebell Road have any information about the incident, please contact Hampshire police on the numbers above.