Image may contain: Grass, Plant, Jacket, Blazer, Clothing, Suit, Overcoat, Apparel, Coat, Accessory, Tie, Accessories, Person, Human

Soton’s next VC is likely to be paid less, say university

The next Vice-Chancellor’s salary is ‘likely’ to be lower than Christopher Snowden’s current pay

University of Southampton have said it is “likely” that the next Vice Chancellor will be paid less than Christopher Snowden’s current salary, according to the Financial Times, even though a successor has not yet been appointed to take his position when he retires in May 2019.

The University of Southampton was featured third on a list made by the Higher Education regulator known as the Office for Students (OfS) last week, that detailed the highest basic salaries for university leaders in 2017-18.

Image may contain: Menu, Plot, Text

Senior Staff Remuneration, Office for Students (OfS)

This news comes after a long awaited response to the 91 per cent students who voted for Sir Christopher Snowden’s pay to be cut, following news that his salary was increasing alongside the university was having to make a large number of staff cuts last year. It was also revealed that the average staff pay was ten times less than the VC’s current pay.

Image may contain: Label, Plot, Page, Document, Text

Financial Statements, University of Southampton

The University had already announced that Snowden's salary would remain at £423,000 despite protests, but the university seem to have taken student opinion into account for the next person who takes over the role.

Staff at the university had also launched a petition demanding a number of different changes for the new VC, including a salary that is no more than 20 times the salary of the lowest paid employee at the university.

Nicola Dandridge, Chief Executive of the OfS, said Vice-Chancellors should be prepared to answer "tough questions" when "pay is out of kilter" or when salary increases outstrip pay awards to staff.

She said: "A number of governing bodies have reduced the basic pay of their Vice-Chancellor, though we acknowledge that it can be difficult to revisit contractual obligations while a Vice-Chancellor is in post. We expect to see further progress next year."