Man admits to murder after body found on Southampton Common

34-year old Tommy Scott has pleaded guilty to murder

Hide Images

After a body was found on Southampton Common three months ago, a man has pleaded guilty to strangling Gerald Pragnell, a Southampton airport worker, who was last seen leaving work on 1st November 2018.

Tommy Scott, who is also a registered sex offender, left his body in the Woodlands near Cemetery Road where it was found on 3rd November.

Scott appeared via video link at Winchester Crown Court yesterday and pleaded guilty to the murder of Pragnell and will be sentenced on 14th February.

Prosecutor Simon Jones has stated he will appeal to Judge Keith Cutler to jail Scott for a minimum of 30 years behind bars.

After the murder, Mr Pragnell’s family said: "Dad was a loving father, grandad, partner, brother and uncle. He was a genuine, hard-working and caring family man who was adored by all who knew him.

"Dad was taken from us much too soon and we’re devastated that he won’t be part of our future."

Pragnell was also described by colleagues as "a well-respected and long-standing member of the team'."