Image may contain: Face, Female, Screen, Monitor, Display, Computer, Electronics, Human, Person, Desk, Table, Furniture

Emily Dawes is ‘due back into work’ the day after Remembrance Sunday

That’s this coming Monday

It's been 15 days since Southampton's SU president, Emily Dawes, said she wanted to "paint over" The Rothenstein Mural. She has since been on leave, no further statements have been made and Southampton students have been left in the dark as to what is going on.

The Soton Tab has now been told by an SU insider that Emily Dawes is "due back into work on Monday". This will be the day after Remembrance Sunday.

The member of SU staff, who told us about Emily's apparent return, and whose identity we will keep anonymous, also told us he couldn't comment on the university's position on the Emily Dawes tweet for "legal reasons".

Emily caused mass outrage and made the front pages of national newspapers when she said she wanted to "paint over" the Rothenstein Mural, which represents all students who served and sacrificed their lives during World War One. The Rothenstein Mural has since been locked away by the university.

Image may contain: Text, Human, Person

Evie Reilly, Vice President for Democracy and Creative Industries at SUSU, at the time agreed with Emily's tweet, saying "I'll bring my paint brush!" Her tweet has since been deleted and she has continued to work at SUSU whilst Emily is on leave. Evie is yet to make a public statement or apologise for her remark, and has not responded to repeated requests for comment.

The Soton Tab reached out to the University of Southampton for comment, who told us they would be "releasing a statement in due course" but couldn't give us a specific timeframe.

The University of Southampton have declined to comment.

The Soton Tab will continue to keep you updated as this story develops.

Read more on this story:

Soton SU Pres says she wants to ‘paint over’ war memorial mural

Beyond the controversy: Here’s everything we know about SU Pres Emily Dawes

‘It’s okay to be white’ sign found in Hartley Library