Image may contain: Party, Clothing, Apparel, Person, People, Human

A review of Comedy at The Hobbit: Like counselling but funny and without the chair

A review of one of the funniest nights out in Soton

University can be a very hard time for everyone. Challenging studies, surrounded by strangers and overcome by financial hardship, it's common to feel isolated.

We all have stories to tell, but the offerings of the University of Southampton’s Comedy Society provide a light-hearted insight to other student's trials and tribulations to help ease those pains. What better way to laugh at the fears, troubles and secrets of another student’s life then with a pint-sized cocktail and free entry?

First Interval

Last Tuesday night (3/10), I “went on an adventure” down Bevois Valley Road and arrived at The Hobbit to witness the surprisingly professional performances of many aspiring comics: Eni Obshowo, Simon Vickery, Paige Williams, Michal Mnich, and Keshavi Saujani.

They gave an insight into their struggles with race at university, and how these perceptions affected their experience. Of course, in a tasteful manner, which kept the room as a safe space.

Jokes were made about the dating scenes at uni, the pitfalls of job hunting, to unexpected subjects of TED talks. No one was left unscathed.

Despite the disturbance from a heckling man (who clearly thought he had better jokes) the cordiality of the room grew, and that man was sooner mocked and forgotten about than letting the performers lose their nerve and choke – highlighting their competence. Good vibes only, please.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Second Interval

I saw the acts of the president herself, Abbie Edwards and further members of the society: Ed Maynard, James Hurford, Sam Foster and Nick Klokkou.

Immediately, the performers seamlessly regained the attention of the crowd after the short break, and even delighted the audience with a few improvisation skits in between the rehearsed material. Improv is often a way of indicating an individual’s raw ability, and this came in abundance.

For some newer to the art of stand-up, you were unable to differentiate between the rookies and old-timers.

The jokes and story-telling was funny and often relatable, but what really stood out to me was how each member of the society supported the other. They laughed the loudest, clapped the hardest and congratulated each other once off stage.

About the Comedy Soc

The society involves itself in many events such as this and does not limit themselves to local shows. At Easter time, a three-day comedy festival is held, and they send a show, or multiple shows to the Edinburgh Fringe.

The University of Southampton Comedy Society is an up-and-comer and appears to be a very rewarding society to become involved with.

If you’re looking for an evening of losing yourself in laughter, Hobbit-themed drinks and at a lost cost (with no entry fee), I suggest following the society to hear about the upcoming shows.

The Comedy night brought a refreshing change to the usual pres at home and the trip to the palace of dreams: sometimes it is good to switch things up!