Here’s what it’s like being LGBT+ in Southampton

You are in a safe space with lots of support systems here

Hide Images

There is no need to worry if you are LGBT+ and starting university at Southampton – you are in a safe space with lots of support systems. Our Uni is proudly a Stonewall Diversity Champion, and with the university’s LGBT+ staff network as one of the first to be formed, equality is strived for.

Here's everything you need to know about the services and support if you are an LGBT+ student beginning life at Southampton.

Uni Policies

The Uni states on their website they are proud to have an inclusive Equality Opportunities Policy and Dignity at Work and Study Policy, which sets out the university's expectations of all staff and students to respect their gay, lesbian and bisexual colleagues.

Additionally, there is a Sexual Orientation Policy which extends specific provisions to gay, bisexual and lesbian staff members and students. There are also inclusive staff benefits policies, which are supportive of same-sex couples who have children (including surrogacy) or adopt, compassionate and domestic leave for cohabiting couples, pension contributions and pay-outs for same-sex partners and inclusive medical and dental plans.

Additional support

If you are struggling during your time at Southampton, pop in to the Enabling Services at their Drop In. It runs from 1pm-3pm, Monday to Friday (term time) and Monday, Wednesday and Friday (vacation period) in Building 37. Alternatively, you can email them at [email protected].

The Enabling Services can offer wonderful support and also guide you towards the charities and societies (listed below) set up to give support to the LGBT+ community, and offer services such as counselling if needed.

Don't forget, your PAT and senior tutors are also able to support you during your time at Southampton and guide you towards the best means of support for you to make sure that your time here is as happy and successful as possible.

The LGBT+ Society

Our LGBT+ Society has a lot to offer, and states on their SUSU page, that they "welcome anyone from any gender or sexual minority, and even allies who wish to support our community. [Their] aim is to provide an inclusive and safe space for LGBT+ students to socialise with one another, allowing them the freedom to discover and express who they are, free from judgement."

The society often hosts film screenings, casual meet ups such as picnics and a Freshers’ bar crawl and other pub/bar crawls throughout the year, which are a great way to meet other LGBT+ people and get involved with the fantastic society. There is something for everyone and always something going on. Find the society here (Have a look at their "Information, Support and Advice" section in particular).

© 2016 – 2018 SUSU LGBT+

The Edge

The Edge Nightclub is Southampton’s only and award-winning LGBT+ nightclub and has been open for 20 years. Open to anyone, and with £2.50 doubles on a Wednesday, karaoke, two floors of music, a burger bar and a brilliant atmosphere and sense of community, you will not be disappointed (even though your liver might be).

Harbour Lights Picturehouse

Harbour Lights Picturehouse is an arthouse cinema and is located in Ocean Village. Harbour Lights has a wonderful selection of Independent cinemas, and a bar and food list. They often show LGBT+ cinema, so it's worth keeping an eye on their website to see what is coming out next.

Union Films

Similarly, our campus cinema features a range of films throughout the year at only £3 per ticket. Get involved and see what's on here.

Outside of our university community, Southampton also has an extensive list of support systems in the city.

The LGBT+ Christian Society

"So come and be with us, if you wish, whether or not you are LGBT+, and whether or not you subscribe to a faith". Read more here.

Breakout Youth

Breakout Youth is a charity that helps LGBT+ young people in Southampton, Eastleigh, Basingstoke and on The Isle of Wight.

Kroma

An empowering and enabling organisation for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and alternative (LGBT+) communities, their families and friends, through awareness, inclusiveness and supportiveness. Kroma operates within the south of Hampshire which includes Eastleigh, Fareham, Gosport, Havant, Portsmouth, Southampton and Winchester.

Pride!

Southampton Pride runs annually in August and is the fastest growing Pride on the South Coast according to their website. You can be a part of the parade, perform, host a stall, volunteer, or simply support it. Whatever you decide to do, it is definitely worth getting involved with Pride in Southampton.