Image may contain: Person, People, Human

5 top tips on how to avoid Freshers’ Flu at Soton

Good luck, you’ll need it

Freshers' Week has started and so weak immune systems will soon follow. The fear that takes over every fresher who suddenly feels a tickle in their throat mid-way through the week is almost debilitating. With that in mind, here's a much needed guide on how to best avoid Soton's biggest mood killer – Freshers' Flu.

1) Prepare for hangovers

Make sure you stock up on medicinal supplies before Freshers' gets into full flow. Paracetamol and Lemsip Max work against the headache/cold symptoms whilst Berocca and multi-vitamins will help you recharge lost energy.

If you want to avoid that head-rush headache from getting up, try to make these items accessible to you from your bed.

And of course, don't forget to fill a glass with water before you go out. When you are dying of thirst – you'll thank your past sober self, trust me.

Image may contain: Head, Person, People, Human

2) Pace yourself

Freshers' tends to last a week (sometimes two if you're lucky) and you will be going out at least 4 of those 7 nights. If you're carted off to hospital on your first night then Freshers' Flu is going to hit you like a ton of bricks.

Get drunk – that's the point of it – but you need to be able to pick yourself up and do it all again the next day.

3) Hair of the dog that bit you

Typically, Freshers' Flu will hit once you give your body time to recuperate. So, to maintain your stamina, shot some vodka (or a spirit of your choice) once you've got out of bed and it should keep you going throughout the day. Think that sounds rough? Freshers' Flu is a lot rougher.

Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Gutter, Person, People, Human

4) Be a health freak

If you are really trying to detox your body after consuming an ocean of liquor, there are a few steps you can take to restore your full health.

5) Eat well

Carbs (bread/potato/pasta etc) will help soak up the alcohol. Lining your stomach before and after a night out will keep that nauseous feeling at bay. Try to avoid greasy kebabs and heavy-duty curries, as tasty as they are they won't do your digestive system any favours.

6) Drink Well

Counteract the toxicity of spirits with vitamins and minerals found in fruit juices. It will also hydrate you and numb that pounding headache. A glass of OJ a day keeps freshers' flu away.

7) Exercise

Probably the last thing you want to be doing when you feel like you've just been resurrected, but it will sweat out the toxins in your body. Even just getting outside for some fresh air will help to clear your head.

8) Sleep

Going out all night equals sleep deprivation, so a good way to lift yourself up from the depths of sickness is to take a nap . Although usually associated with toddlers and southern Europeans, naps will become your new best friend. They improve your mood, alertness and can cure general achey-ness. Set a timer between 20 mins to an hour for optimum results.

Image may contain: Yarn, Fiber

9) And for when Freshers' Flu does hit you…

The reality is, if you're doing Freshers' Week the right way you can't avoid getting ill totally, but you can soften the blow. Hot honey and lemon water in the morning and throat soothers on the go will prevent any unwanted coughing fits during lectures. Carrying a water bottle and pack of tissues will also make life a lot easier.

Also, just try to avoid direct contact with those that have already come down with Freshers' Flu. Better to be safe than sorry.