Image may contain: Performer, Musician, Musical Instrument, Music, Leisure Activities, Guitarist, Guitar, Person, People, Human

All of the unheard artists of Southampton University

There’s a whole new side to Soton

Music

Southampton University is home to a wealth of undiscovered music talent. Look no further than last month’s Share the Sound festival, where 16 solo artists and bands from the university took to the stage of The Talking Heads to showcase their original material. From the hard-rock of Lost or Stolen to the feel-good pop of The Flourish, this article showcases just a few of these promising acts.

Lost or Stolen are a four-piece hard rock outfit who bring a gritty, heavy edge to the stage. They have released three singles to date and have garnered a devoted local following with their electrifying stage shows and rigorous performing energy.

chaWk are an alternative band whose original music tackles themes ranging from natural phenomena to daydreaming. Formed in Southampton in 2016, they have been influenced by the likes of Pink Floyd, Nina Simone and Florence & The Machine. Their first release, Starry Eyed Girl, combines cosmological wanderings with deep-rooted feelings in a four-track EP.

Myriad are purveyors of upbeat indie pop-rock. Originally a covers band, they started writing original material in summer 2016 which culminated in the recording of their debut EP Fundamental Dream, set to be released later this year. The lead single from the EP, Easily, is out now.

Kitty O’Neal is a singer-songwriter who melds folk influences with her love of RnB and electronica. Her two EPs A Home and OK received radio play from BBC Introducing and led to gigs supporting household folk names Maz O'Connor and Meadowlark. Kitty's poignant songwriting, paired with her emotive performance, makes for a captivating and vibrant live experience, filled with both soulful melancholy and groove. Her debut album is due out later this year ahead of her UK summer tour.

The Flourish are a pop-band inspired by artists as disparate as pop-stars Ed Sheeran and Clean Bandit and modern jazzers such as Tom Misch and Jordan Rakei. Their unique jazz-inflected pop is full of sunny vibes and sing-along hooks. Their demo EP can be heard on Soundcloud here.

Ben Lester is a BBC Introducing featured artist who has performed at such prestigious venues as the Islington O2 Academy. His distinctive brand of melodic chamber-pop has garnered much attention, including regular air-play from BBC Radio London and a gushing review from Prog Magazine, describing Ben as “precocious” and “brimming with ideas and musicality”. As a multi-instrumentalist, he composes, performs and produces all of his music himself. His debut album Tomorrow Waits is released this month and is available on Spotify.

Tony Halliwell is a second-year music student at the university who releases his own brand of electronic-infused metal. His latest single, On Your Own, demonstrates his love of heavy rock bands such as Queens of the Stone Age.

Southampton Uni’s very own music production society has recently released a four-track EP of original material. Their electronic dance tracks are sure to liven up any party and demonstrate the huge variety of music being made right here at the university.