Fake Instagram accounts or ‘Finstas’ are becoming the secret social media craze

“I just post what I want”

Do you have a second instagram account – a 'finsta' (fake-insta)? If not, you may consider making one after reading this.

Instagram is a platform that show off users living their best life – holidaying, brunching, clubbing, gyming – you name it. We all know that this can be a tiring upkeep. Especially when the reality is you haven't had a good night's sleep in 3 weeks, you opt for comfort over style in your daily wardrobe choices, and you live somewhere it rains (or snows) 90% of the time.

However, do not fret – there is a solution! Create a second, private instagram account; only accept followers that are your nearest and dearest in order to build a trusted, exclusive 'finsta' community; and (this is the craziest part) post about your real life. To remain anonymous to the public, simply pick an unrelated username and a random display picture and you're good to go.

There are no rules. No 'code of condutct'. You do not have to wait till a certain time in the evening to post in the hope of receiving more 'likes'. You can post once, twice, fifteen times a day and no one will care.

Here are some of the best bits about having a 'finsta'. You can…

Vent your frustrations

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Text

Share your late night thoughts

Image may contain: Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Poster, Person, People, Human

Stay in the loop

Image may contain: Ticket, Text, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile

Learn the latest gossip

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Magazine, Person, People, Human

Contemplate social norms

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Head, Person, People, Human

Reveal your more controversial opinions

Image may contain: Poster, Water, Swimming, Sports, Sport, Person, People, Human

…and just about anything else! I spoke to a couple 'finsta' users in the Southampton area and here's what they had to say:

Would you say your 'finsta' reveals the 'real you?'

"Kind of, I just post what I want and I don't care what I look like or what other people think."

Would you reccomend creating a 'finsta' to your friends?

"I would because you can share your funniest moments without having it to post it publicly."

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Person, People, Human

It is clear that 'finstas' knock our social media personas off of their pedastools. Life's simple pleasures can be appreciated (such as nice weather or a decent lie-in), and daily dilemmas don't have to be face-tuned to perfection.