Image may contain: Suit, Overcoat, Coat, Clothing, Person, People, Human, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

VP Engagement Candidate Interview: Miles Jordan

Here’s what he had to say

What made you want to run for a Saab position?

I wanted to make Southampton feel more like a community and I think that VP Engagement is well positioned to effect that change. For me personally as well, I felt as if you're left to your own devices after the first week of freshers and the availability of more support after the start would be beneficial for integrating new students into the university. Not simply limited to freshers though as all students should feel engaged with their university and their city.

What’s your favourite point in your manifesto?

I'd say the mental health issues I'm seeking to address, increasing their awareness of mental health and ensuring that freshers and students are made aware of the support which is available to them, through SUSU, the University and the NHS.

Why are you the best person for this role?

Because I can bring a fresh approach to how the SU seeks to engage students at university and in the community.

What do you think is currently the weakest area of SUSU?

The focus of engagement around the 'average' student, more needs to be done to engage those students who maybe aren't so comfortable in their new surroundings.

What are you least looking forward to during your election campaign?

If it turns nasty I think it will be less than enjoyable than it should be for everyone involved. But I hope that it is wholly fairly contested by all candidates and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

Snog, marry, avoid: Theresa May, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn?

Snog Corbyn, because he's got that stubble, Marry Boris because there's never a dull moment, and avoid May because fields of wheat aggravate my hay fever.

What is your favourite Soton night out?

#MakeJestersGreatAgain

Who is your dream dinner date?

That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.