Tackling misconceptions: sexual assault in Southampton

38% of Southampton students consider themselves victims of sexual assault

Hide Images

Both rape and other sexual offences are at the highest level since the NCRS (National Crime Recording Standard) was introduced in April 2002. There are, on average, around 11 sexual assaults an hour across England and Wales. A perpetrator or victim fits no specific profile, and is one of the most under-reported crimes in the UK. 38% of our survey respondents said they considered themselves victims of sexual assault – but 70% said they had been touched sexually without their consent in a club. Legally, this is considered sexual assault.

Perpetrators

When you think ‘rapist’ what do you think of? A cloak-and-dagger stranger with a weapon? In reality these cases are rare – 7/10 rapes are committed by someone the victim knows.

In only 11 per cent of incidences are weapons used, however 2/3 times physical force – such as hands or teeth – are used.

Victims

It was found by a study, published in Psychological Medicine, that 40% of women with severe mental illness had been victims of rape or attempted rape.

Nearly a third of female rape victims are girls aged under 16.

Women are more likely to be victims of sexual violence; a survey of 1000 young people in England published in 2015 found that, 14% boys reported they had experienced sexual violence – compared to 41% of girls.

The majority, 38%, take place in the victim’s home; 24% take place in the offenders home.

Even being touched without consent in clubs can have profound emotional effects. In our survey, and anonymous student said it made her feel ‘angry and more vulnerable than I would like. I didn’t like the fact that a man could restrain me if he wanted to and nobody would even try and stop him.’

Justice

Only 15% of those who experience sexual violence report it to the police

The most popular reasons for not reporting sexual violence were that it was ’embarrassing’, they ‘did not think the police could do much to help’ or that the incident was ‘too trivial or not worth reporting’, or that they saw it as a ‘private/family matter and not police business’.

Only 5.7% of reported rape cases end in a conviction for the perpetrator. (Kelly, Lovett and Regan, A gap or a chasm? Attrition in reported rape cases, 2005)

Attitude

42% of people said that it is partially the woman’s fault if she is wearing revealing clothing, and 40% said the same if she is drunk.

A third of people believe women who flirt are partially responsible for being raped (Amnesty, 2005).

23% of people agreed that women often lie about being raped.

37% agreed that rape results from men being unable to control their need for sex.

Misconceptions

Just over 50 per cent of survey respondents believed that having sex with a person under the influence of alcohol was rape. Legally, any person under the influence of drugs or alcohol is unable to consent to sex.  According to the law, ‘A person commits sexual assault if they intentionally touch another person, the touching is sexual and the person does not consent.’

We asked Southampton students to define consent. Some were on-point with their understanding of their rights and the law:

‘When every person involved is fully aware of what is happening, going to happen and the consequences and are able to communicate their wishes.’ – Anonymous, third year Nursing

‘Verbal or non-verbal indication that both people activity want to be involved with the sex. Void if one person is drunk, high, or otherwise less able to make decisions.’ – Anonymous, third year English

Others were less certain of their understanding:

‘I’m not sure. Consent can either be explicit or implicit.’ – Anonymous, second year History

It is clear that sexual assault is often an under-estimated crime. A huge part of rape and sexual violence being so under-reported is due to lack of awareness – it is important that everybody knows they have a right to say no, as well as the right to report any kind of sexual abuse. Just 5% of our respondents reported being sexually assaulted whilst out in clubs. Many cited feeling ‘Violated and disrespected’ and ‘angry and embarrassed’.

The only person who should be embarrassed when it comes to sexual assault is the perpetrator. As one student said in our survey, ‘more awareness should be raised, and it is never the victim’s fault.’

This month, the Soton Tab is committed to shining a light on sexual consent awareness and sexual assault in Southampton. 

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this piece, please see Rape Crisis for more information.