I sent a pic of myself in a hideous dress to my male friends and these were their reactions

You guys are too nice for your own good

One Saturday morning, my mother came into my room to show me a fancy dress she wore approximately 25 years ago. I then put on said dress, and had the urge to send a picture of myself in the dress to every single person I know. After sending it to one friend, joking that I wanted to wear it to a summer ball, I expected a reply laughing about how ridiculous I looked. But, he actually complimented me and said the dress looked nice.

I guessed, and was confirmed right, when I sent the same picture to my female friends who out rightly (and quite rightly) informed to how ugly the dress was on me. So I thought, do my male friends genuinely think I look nice (I’m aware that fashion and beauty are subjective, but please take a look at the dress), or are they just being polite in fear of upsetting me? I decided to experiment, and the rest is history.

Disclaimer: I’ve been informed that this dress was extremely fashionable at the time. My mum did look quite lovely in it in ’93, but it just doesn’t have the same effect in the 21st century.

The dress in question

Some were overly complimentary, questionably so

Some are just downright liars

Some were more analytical

Some clearly were a little lost for words

Some thought I looked like a cartoon

Some need a reality check

Some clocked

Some were shocked

Some thought I was dressed for the occasion

Some had their own fashion preferences

Some were bewildered, but still didn’t want to disappoint

Some were outright blunt

Some thought I looked like a joke

And some clearly just wanted to be nice

University of Southampton