Humans of ‘Southampton’

A project launched to celebrate culture and diversity.

Soton Tab have the privilege of introducing ‘Humans of Southampton’ (#humansofsoton). This project was launched by Intercultural Connections Southampton who are on a mission to make the world appreciate the variety of cultures and people in Southampton. They believe that there are so many special things to be discovered in this  part of the world, and so are collecting and publishing stories about the people in Southampton.

Lorena Ania

We asked: “Whats the hardest thing you’ve achieved?”

“Confidence in myself. I overcame it by realising what self-respect is and by learning that what other people think of you isn’t important as long as you believe in yourself. I’ve realised that you can change anything you want in your life.”

Kajen Mtln

“Going to Sri Lanka is a very expensive thing for anyone. Our family waited and planned for 15 years to go. When we finally went, my grandma passed away on that holiday. Even though I didn’t know her that well, I got to see her for the last few moments of her life. I got to look around and I saw so much familiarity with people I didn’t really know. I could see myself in my own people. It was a nostalgic sense of belonging I never thought I had, until I went…
It gave me a chance to see the difference in culture between the UK and Sri Lanka. I was heavily responsible for the funeral and I was plunged into a new world of rituals and cultures. I felt happy to be able to fulfil my responsibility as a member of the family and was able to give my grandma a great goodbye. It turned out to be a really beautiful experience. It made me want to get more in touch with my roots and who I am. I found a part of myself I didn’t know I was looking for.”

Anasthasia

“I am a physics student and I love physics because I love the challenge. However, I do not want to be a ‘mad scientist’. People have the notion that because I am a physics student, I am eccentric but I can assure you that I do not see symbols floating in the air when I walk around. I am planning to work as a consultant after this but let’s see where it goes!”

If you think you have a story or though that you wish to showcase to the world – go ahead and send it to [email protected]!