We asked Soton students who their female role models are

In honour of International Women’s Day

On Wednesday, the world celebrated International Women’s day. The day commemorated the women’s rights movement. It was first held in New York on the 28th of February 1909 but is now celebrated on March 8th every year.

On a day all about women and their achievements, we took to campus to ask Southampton students who their female role models were.

Both Hannah (2nd Year, Geology) and Charlie (1st Year, Psychology) said Michelle Obama.

Emma Watson was also a popular choice.

William, visitor.

Bex, Prospective student (Psychology)

We also had some shout outs to female relatives.

Sophie, 3rd Year, Education and Psychology

Anna, 3rd Year, Maths

We also caught up with the newly elected VP Sports, Stephan Gore. He told us that his female role model is Carrie Fisher. Appropriate given that he was wearing a Star Wars t-shirt!

Steve, 4th Year, Biochemistry

Other female role models included Amelia Earhart. She was the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.

Gabriele, 2nd Year, Aerospace engineering

Of course Marie Curie also made the list…

Electra, 2nd Year, Biomedical Sciences

… And so did the lesser known Sabrina Gonzalez Pasterski. Pasterski is an American physicist who has made significant contributions to String Theory.

Charles, 3rd Year, Management

One Southampton student was inspired by an entire team of women.

Of course, it wouldn’t be right to celebrate International women’s day without mentioning Malala Yousafzai

Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education. She is also the youngest ever Nobel peace prize laureate.