What it’s like being Welsh in an English university

What part of Wales are you from? ‘Near Cardiff’

So you decided that neither Cardiff or Swansea were for you, and you’ve crossed the bridge and headed to England for university

You arrive and meet your new flatmates, who are all excited to meet a Welsh person. Everything seems great, maybe you’ll fit in much easier than you thought?

However, before long you, and all other Welshies in England, will begin to notice the same things happening.

First things first,

Pretty much any Welsh person who has stepped foot in England has probably been the victim of a few sheep shagger jokes.

And while, yes, there are quite a lot of sheep in Wales and yes, there are more than a few very questionable people in your hometown, the truth of the matter is that this is just a joke which seems to have gotten out of hand.

You’ve heard it so much you manage to brush it off either with gentle humour or a sassy comeback every time.

Always up for a cwtch

Next it’s Freshers’ Week.

Everybody’s getting to know each other and the go to question most people get is “So where are you from?”

Of course your accent has already given it away in the first ten seconds, so the question you get is always an eager “are you from Wales??” Everyone you’re with will then go on to discuss which part of London they come from, while you stand there like a bit of a lettuce.

That long train station name.

‘Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch’ to be precise.

Naturally, the next part of the conversion involves being asked to pronounce ‘that really long train station name’.

Realistically you have absolutely no idea what it is or how to say it, but you reply with a bunch of noises that sound remotely like they could be correct. Hey, this is your chance to make friends, and they’ll never know.

The heated rugby matches

Now anyone who knows the Welsh know that we take our rugby very seriously. This means that the inevitable England V Wales games can get pretty heated.

Whether we’re celebrating victory or wallowing in defeat, one thing is for sure, its a great excuse to get very, very drunk.

Wales V England games can get pretty heated

What’s occurring?

Another thing you’ll soon come to realise is that for most people from outside of Wales, their only experience of Welsh culture comes from watching Gavin and Stacey.

Unfortunately there can only be one Nessa, and you can often see the disappointment in your friends eyes when you walk into a room and don’t immediately ask what’s occurring.

Although at least you can share with them your stories of going to Barry Island, letting them know how totally awesome (and not gross) it is.

However, even taking all this into account, you can expect nothing but the warmest welcome from our friends across the border.

They’ll appreciate your accent, laugh at the way you legitimately say ‘i’ll be there now in a minute’ and they’ll love the fact that you’re always up for a cwtch.