Southampton students collab with Dock 34 to throw groundbreaking arts and music night

Expect to hear disco, house and techno – with a visual display that responds to the music

Dock 34 are the DJ label who brought Leeds DJ and producer Viers to Junk, teamed up with Brickwork to throw a sold-out event at The Social and have DJ’d at a number of parties around Southampton.

Now, they are collaborating with SEMSU, Southampton Electronic Music Society, and a group of graphic design students from Winchester School of Art. Held at The Joiners, on Wednesday 30th November, the event promises  a night of excellent music ranging from disco and house to techno. Accompanying this, the visual art team will work on a dynamic visual display that will respond to the progression of the music throughout the night. The aim of the night: to create an overall sensory experience, combining visual art with great music.

Get your tickets here

The initial idea for the event originated from festival stages with their spectacle of lights and visual effects following a consistent theme. The team wanted to bring this concept to a small venue and stage. Geometric shapes, which Dock 34 have built, will be suspended behind the decks poised in mid-air with images projected onto them.  The aim is to create an instillation with a theme that is consistent throughout the venue.

Dock 34 started back in 2015, through the work of two second year students, Joey Conneely and James Littlefair. They began by throwing house parties in their own home for around 100 people. After a few parties, people started noticing their skills for holding the dance-floor by playing diverse and unique sets. They found themselves inundated with requests from students across Southampton asking them to DJ at their parties, often playing at multiple houses over the course of a weekend. The positive feedback, combined with the encouragement of their close friends, led to the creation of Dock 34.

Hoping to one day throw their own night at a venue in Southampton, the boys began searching for the right place. After meeting with the events manager of Junk, it was decided it would be the setting for Dock 34’s first big night, with Viers playing the headline slot.

SEMSU are already known for their alternate graduation boat party, followed by a successful after-party bringing Pender Street Steppers and Shanti Celeste to Junk. Here the SEMSU DJs will be playing their signature sounds. Check out their Facebook page for notices about their Surge radio show which brings excellent tunes to you every Thursday 9 O’clock.

Get your tickets before they sell out