The Soton Tab’s guide to drinking games

Get drunk more efficiently

| UPDATED drinking games

Never Have I Ever:

Participants must sit in a circle, each with a drink. The first player announces something they have never done, such as “Never have I ever been arrested”. Any player who have, drink. This is a great ice-breaker, and gets people drinking quickly.

Ring of Fire:

Need: A pint glass and a deck of cards

Ace = Waterfall – The person who drew the card starts drinking, and chooses whether the waterfall will go to their left or right. The person next to them can’t stop drinking until they’ve finished, and so on around the circle.

2 = You – Pick someone in the room, they have to drink

3 = Me – You drink.

4 = Whores – All girls drink.

5 = Thumb – Whoever has this card places their thumb on the table whenever they want. Everyone else must put their thumb down too. Last person to react downs their drink.

6 = Dicks – All guys drink.

7 = Heaven – Same as 5, but instead of a thumb down you point up to the ceiling.

8 = Mate – Choose someone to be your mate and for the rest of the game whenever you drink they do the same and vice versa.

9 = Rhyme – Whoever picked the card chooses a word (e.g. Blue) and you go around the circle, taking it it turns to say a rhyming word (e.g. clue, two, sue). A 2 second hesitation, a repeated word or a non-rhyme ends the chain and whoever failed has to down their drink.

10 = Categories – Similar to 9, whoever picked the card chooses a category (e.g. Capitals) and people have to say words in the category (e.g. London, Paris, Canberra). Same failure rules apply.

Jack = Invent a rule – You make up a rule (e.g. Everyone has to stand on their chair when they drink) and everyone has to abide by until the next Jack is picked. The new rule replaces the old one. Anyone that fails to follow the rule has to drink.

Queen = Question Master – As long as you hold the Queen, anyone who answers a question you ask has to drink. When a new Queen is drawn, the power switches to the new holder.

King = Put some of your drink in the dirty pint. Whoever gets the last King downs it all.

Drunk Jenga

Write a different rule on the bottom of every Jenga piece and build the tower. Whenever someone pulls out at block they must do that rule or face a forfeit determined by the group. Mix up the rules, with some being soft like ‘take a sip of your drink’ whilst others are more brutal such as ‘down your drink whilst topless and balancing one-legged on a chair’. You’ll soon find out who’s up for anything with this game.

Wizard

This one is pretty simple. Every time you finish a can, add it to your ‘staff’. Whoever ends the night with the longest ‘can staff’ is the winner and gets to pick a forfeit for everyone else to do. Even better if you dress in a proper wizard costume (Harry Potter doesn’t count).

Beer Pong

The Classic! Line up 10 cups with half a can of beer in them in a triangle formation at either end of the table and take turns bouncing a ping pong ball off the table and into your opponent’s cup. If a ball lands in your cup, remove the cup from play and down the beer. First person to lose all 10 cups has to do a forfeit. Can also be played as a team game.

Paranoia

The person on your right whispers you a question, the answer of which has to be somebody playing the game (e.g. “who is the ugliest in this room?”). You respond out loud for everyone to hear. If the person you name wants to know what the question was, they have to down their drink before you tell them. If they don’t want to know, you take a sip of your drink.

Crate Escape

Everyone playing buys a crate of cider/beer. These are stacked up against the door so no one can get out. No one is allowed to leave the room until every last can has been drunk. If you need the toilet in the meantime… too bad, you’ll just have to drink faster.

Skulls

Take it in turns to count up in instalments of 1,2 or 3 until you get to 21. The person that ends up having to say 21 must shout ‘Skulls!’ and make up a rule to replace a number (e.g. Instead of 5 you have to say ‘I Love Nigel Farage’). Keeping going until all 20 numbers replaced (don’t put a rule for 21). Failure to follow a rule means you drink and you start again at 1. Failure to say ‘Skulls’ when you get to 21 means you down your drink.