Things to do in Soton over the Summer

For many of you, the summer holidays means returning home enthused to be reunited once more with friends and family. However, this also means being restrained yet again to the […]

For many of you, the summer holidays means returning home enthused to be reunited once more with friends and family. However, this also means being restrained yet again to the strict routine endorsed by mum and dad of set meal times, ‘quality’ family time and curfews. For those of you who have secured your freedom, and get to stay in Southampton over the summer, your fun is not merely restricted to a walk around Southampton Common or West Quay. Southampton, is surrounded by beaches, the outstanding beauty of the new forest, and is home to an array of fun activities. The Soton Tab have devised a list of things to do in Southampton, so you won’t get bored over the summer.

Calshot Beach

The cleanest beach in Southampton, yes I would even recommend taking a swim here. For those of you who have a car, there is free parking. For those of you who don’t, the number 8 bus can take you there from outside the Asda in Southampton town centre. If you don’t fancy bronzing and admiring the Isle of Wight views all day, Calshot activities centre is situated here. If you are feeling adventurous, here is the opportunity to learn archery, canoeing, rock climbing, power-boating, skiing, snowboarding and even windsurfing.

Lepe Beach

Only four miles from Calshot and again a pretty pristine beach. Here, there is also Lepe Country Park, home to wild flower meadows and the historic remains from the D-Day landings, if you’re looking to do more than sunbathe.

The Royal Victoria Country Park

This country park in Netley, by the shores of Southampton water, is made up of 200 acres of wood and park land as well as Western Shore beach. Although, I would recommend resisting the urge to take a dip in the water this time. 

The New Forest

Perfect for walks, lunching, cycling and even horse riding.

Alpine Snowsports Centre

In case of the highly unlikely chance of rain (this is England), there is the Southampton Ski Slopes. Again, great fun whatever your experience level. The centre also comprises of donutting and sledging sessions.

Riverside Park

The name itself is pretty explanatory  – a park on the side of the River Itchen. It’s a fairly scenic walk, and also contains a riverside pitch and putt, tennis courts and a skate park. The Itchen Navigation Trail Project have made it achievable for you to navigate your way from the Riverside Park up to Winchester.

Old Town Walk

This one is particularly for the budding historians amongst you. Start this self-guided tour at Bargate and discover England’s best preserved town walls. The Old Town contains 90 listed buildings and over 30 ancient monuments, including wine vaults, Georgian houses and hotels. Half of the walls, 13 original towers and 6 gates are still standing.

Marwell Zoo

The zoo, situated at Owslebury near Winchester, is home to over 1,200 animals. A great opportunity to get even closer to the wonders of the natural world.

Have a great summer 2k16 wherever you are!