Tumble Dryer Fire in Shaftsebury Avenue
Six students fled their house in Portswood last night as smoke arose from their tumble dryer. Medical student Méabh told the Tab “I went to take my stuff out of […]
Six students fled their house in Portswood last night as smoke arose from their tumble dryer.
Medical student Méabh told the Tab “I went to take my stuff out of the tumble dryer. I managed to take out two items before it started turning again and there was a fire inside where the door closes, so I freaked out.”
Méabh ran to get the attention of the other housemates and they promptly left the house and called for the fire department.
The fire brigade arrived at Shaftsebury Avenue and found that there was an electrical fault.
Firefighters told the student residents that “they had done the right thing, they realised something was wrong, they left the house, and they called us.”
Crew manager Mr. Edminston added that there was no external signs of smoke or heat damage.
An electrician had told the house, last February, that the tumble dryer was a fire hazard. A second electrician was called to investigate but concluded that the machine was not dangerous.
Méabh told The Tab that there is now a “horrible burnt electrical smell.”
Nothing was damaged outside of the machine.