Southampton student missing in Dorset after climbing trip

Liam Day went missing yesterday after a solo climbing trip

Police have begun a large scale search of the Durlston area of Swanage today after receiving reports that 26-year-old Liam Day, from Southampton, had not returned home after going climbing alone on Jurassic Coast.

Liam is a student at University of Southampton and is a part of the Bouldering Society.

Dorset Police found his car in Durlston Road near Durlston Country Park and some climbing equipment was also discovered one mile west of Anvil Point.

Missing: Liam Day went missing yesterday following a solo climbing trip

His girlfriend, Emily Elizabeth Brown, posted a picture of him on Facebook, asking friends to share it.

Chief Inspector Bob Acaster of Dorset Police said: “Every indication is that he did indeed go climbing on his own and we are concerned that he may have come to some harm.

“It is possible he may have gone deep-water climbing, which typically involves using a rope to lower down the cliff and then climbing back up unsupported.”

Police are asking for any witnesses to come forward with information as quickly as possible. Liam’s family have been notified about the disappearance.

Search Party: Several members of the bouldering society have gone to try and find their friend

There have been multiple appeals from Southampton students on Facebook for people to assist in finding Liam.

A large group of people from the Bouldering Society have travelled to Swanage in order to assist Dorset Police in their search.

If anybody has any information regarding the location of Liam Day, please contact the police and Emily Elizabeth Brown on Facebook (Liam’s girlfriend).