SUWRFC take the chop for the Little Princess Trust

There were a few tears.

rachel nervous

Members of Southampton’s Women’s Rugby club took the plunge today and donated their hair to the Little Princess Trust. At Element hairdressing in Portswood, the girls had between 8 inches and a full foot (!) of hair cut each. The Prosecco was flowing to keep the team’s nerves in check as they made their collective 66 inch donation.

Pre-chop. From left to right: Steph, Katy, Becky, Rachel, Becky.

Originally, they had planned to donate 7 inches each (the minimum requirement for the charity) but after competition set in, the team raised to bar and everyone went beyond what was asked of them. Tears were shed as the scissors came out and some were visibly shaken with the nerves of losing their gorgeous manes.

SUWRFC treasurer and Children’s Nursing student Katy had the idea for a group cut. All the hair will be donated to the Little Princess Trust, which makes free wigs for children suffering hair loss due to chemotherapy and alopecia. The idea has spread across the world, with friends and family joining in in Australia and the USA.

The team set up a justgiving page, so their haircut could be sponsored to help make wigs – which cost £350 each to make. So far, they’ve raised £1391.43 – absolutely smashing their £700 target. You can donate to the justgiving page here.

After their fab haircuts with their sassy new ‘dos.